Gas Detection Solutions for Hydrogen Fluoride (HF) Safety
Hydrogen Fluoride (HF) is a very useful chemical used in a variety of industries. However, HF is highly toxic with potential fatal consequences with exposure to humans, so facilities that make or use HF should exercise great care. Nevertheless, there is always the risk of leaks from process elements such as valves, pump seals and storage vessels. Tanker loading, transporting and unloading operations also provide opportunity for HF releases. Industrial processes that make or use HF typically have arrays of point sensors distributed throughout the unit. However, these sensors are maintenance intensive and have relatively slow response times. In addition, a point sensor will not detect an HF release unless it is located directly in the area of that release. Electrochemical HF sensors also respond to chlorine, ammonia, and sulfur dioxide, resulting in false alarms.
Boreal’s open path technology complements or replaces point sensor arrays by providing total perimeter coverage, with high sensitivity (1ppb on 100m path), fast response (1sec) and no false alarms. Built in self calibration and self diagnostics functions add to the users confidence. Our analyzer systems are not affected by extreme weather conditions. The Portable Open-Path TDL Analyzer can be used for temporary monitoring during turnarounds and new construction and commissioning, or for smaller facilities where only one or two paths are required. For larger, permanent multi-path installations, Multi-Channel System provides a robust, reliable and low maintenance solution providing earliest possible warning of potentially dangerous releases of HF. A single Multi-Channel System can monitor up to eight paths. Some of these paths can be configured with duct probes for safe haven air intake monitoring. When precise measurement of HF concentrations are required (or small facilities), Boreal Laser HF Point Detector provides precision of better than 0.5 ppm with full scale to 1000 ppm.
Boreal’s TDL technology has several benefits for HF Safety Applications:
- Provides continuous and instantaneous response times and data collection.
- Very reliably delivers accurate readings.
- No interference with other gases and No False Alarms: “It finds exactly what you’re looking for.”
- Ease of data collection and interpretation.
- Minimal Maintenance: checks internal reference cell every minute, robust design, and requires no consumables to operate.
- Low (overall or amortized) cost of ownership (because they can last +20 years) and low operation and maintenance costs.
- Our technology is as close to set, collect, and forget as possible.