Gas Detection Solutions for Pipeline Leak Detection
Natural gas pipeline owners require improved routine monitoring of pipelines for safety, economic and regulatory reasons. Leaking natural gas can cause explosions leading to loss of life and property. Loss of product through undetected leaks dramatically reduces a pipeline operator’s profitability.
Traditional ground based leak detection with hand held or vehicle mounted FID detectors is a slow and labour intensive process. IR detectors have been used for both airborne and vehicle mounted surveys, but with limited success because of cross interference from other atmospheric gases.
Boreal has a number of different configuration options that enables both airborne and ground based pipeline monitoring. With over 18 years of experience, and thousands of kilometers of pipeline surveyed, Boreal has detected many pipeline leaks that would not otherwise have been detected. The robust external probe, proven in the airborne system, has been adapted fro ground based measurements on a truck, car.
Unlike other optical methods which can be confused by other gases present in the air, the single line laser spectroscopy technology responds only to methane.
Boreal’s TDL technology has several benefits for pipeline leak detection:
- Provides continuous and instantaneous response times and data collection.
- Very reliably delivers accurate readings.
- No interference with other gases and No False Alarms: “It finds exactly what you’re looking for.”
- Ease of data collection and interpretation.
- Minimal Maintenance: checks internal reference cell every minute, robust design, and requires no consumables to operate.
- Low (overall or amortized) cost of ownership (because they can last +20 years) and low operation and maintenance costs.
- Our technology is as close to set, collect, and forget as possible.