Environmental protection and resource recovery are two crucial issues facing our society in the 21st century. Anaerobic biotechnology has become widely accepted by the wastewater industry as the better alternative to the more conventional but costly aerobic process and tens of thousands of full-scale facilities using this technology have been installed worldwide in the past two decades.
Anaerobic Biotechnologyis the sequel to the well-receivedEnvironmental Anaerobic Technology: Applications and New Developments(2010) and compiles developments over the past five years. This volume contains contributions from 48 renowned experts from across the world, including Gatze Lettinga, laureate of the 2007 Tyler Prize and the 2009 Lee Kuan Yew Water Prize, and Perry McCarty, whose pioneering work laid the foundations for today's anaerobic biotechnology. This book is ideal for engineers and scientists working in the field, as well as decision-makers on energy and environmental policies.
- Authors / Editors:
- Herbert H P Fang
- Anaerobic Digestion: About Beauty and Consolation(Willy Verstraete and Jo De Vrieze)
- Syntrophy in Anaerobic Digestion(Yoichi Kamagata)
- Microbial Community Involved in Anaerobic Purified Terephthalic Acid Treatment Process(Takashi Narihiro, Masaru K Nobu, Ran Mei and Wen-Tso Liu)
- State-of-the-Art Anaerobic Ammonium Oxidation (Anammox) Technology(Xiaoming Ji, Yu-Tzu Huang, Qian Wang, Giin Yu Amy Tan, Jih-Gaw Lin and Po-Heng Lee)
- Application of Metagenomics in Environmental Anaerobic Technology (Feng Ju, Herbert H P Fang and Tong Zhang)
- Transformations and Impacts of Ammonia and Hydrogen Sulfide in Anaerobic Reactors(Yu-You Li and Wei Qiao)
- Modelling Anaerobic Digestion Processes(Damien J Batstone and Jorge Rodríguez)
- Microbial Fuel Cells: From Fundamentals to Wastewater Treatment Applications(Ningshengjie Gao, Keaton Larson Lesnik, Hakan Bermek and Hong Liu)
- Development and Applications of Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor in Japan(Yu-You Li, Takuro Kobayashi and Shinichiro Wakahara)
- Anaerobic Fluidized Bed Membrane Bioreactor for the Treatment of Domestic Wastewater(Perry L McCarty, Jeonghwan Kim, Chungheon Shin, Po-Heng Lee and Jaeho Bae)
- Development and Application of Anaerobic Technology for the Treatment of Chemical Effluents in Taiwan(Sheng-Shung Cheng, Teh-Ming Liang, Ryninta Anatrya and Wen-Tso Liu)
- Anaerobic Sewage Treatment in Latin America(Carlos A L Chernicharo, Jules B Van Lier, Adalberto Noyola and Thiago B Ribeiro)
- Applications and the Development of Anaerobic Technology in China (K J Wang, C P Wang, A J Wang, H Gong, B C Dong, H Xu, L W Deng and C Li)
- Challenges Towards Sustainability:
- Development of Anaerobic Digestion of Animal Waste: From Laboratory, Research and Commercial Farms to A Value-Added New Product(Jason C H Shih)
- Role of Anaerobic Digestion in Increasing the Energy Efficiency and Energy Output of Sugar Cane Distilleries(Adrianus van Haandel and Jules B van Lier)
- With AnWT and AnDi Systems Towards a More Sustainable Society(Gatze Lettinga)
Readership: Academic research & professionals.