Field Detection Technologies for Explosives
- Authors / Editors:
- Yin Sun
- Print ISSN:
- Oct. 2010
Written in a style that makes complicated technologies easy to understand, this book covers the principles, instrumentation and applications of current technologies used to detect explosives in the field. Both trace detection technologies and bulk detection technologies are discussed. The section on trace detection technologies includes chapters on ion mobility spectrometry, piezoelectric sensors, chemiluminescence-based detectors, polymer-based technologies and mass spectrometry. It also discusses detection requirements, methodologies used for detector evaluation, and sampling technologies. The section on bulk detection contains chapters on x-ray, millimeter wave imaging, neutron and nuclear quadrupole resonance technologies.
This volume introduces the basic concepts of commonly used explosives detection technologies and is an essential resource for novice or more experienced personnel working in the explosives detection field as well as those with a general interest in this important subject.
- Discusses all aspects of commonly used field detection technologies.
- Reviews detection requirements and explosives sampling methods.
- Describes specific instruments used for field detection applications, such as at airports, harbours and border crossings.
- Includes a summary of common explosives and their important properties for easy reference.
- Provides an introduction to data fusion and receiver operating characteristic methods, both of which have recently received significant attention in the field of explosives detection.
Chapter 1. Introduction to Explosives and Explosives Detection Technologies
Part I. Explosives Trace Detection Technologies
Chapter 2. Introduction to Explosives Trace Detection
Chapter 3. Detector Characteristics
Chapter 4. Sampling Technologies
Chapter 5. Detector Evaluation
Chapter 6. Ion Mobility Spectrometry Technology
Chapter 7. Piezoelectric Sensors
Chapter 8. Chemiluminescence-based Detection
Chapter 9. Polymer-based Methods
Chapter 10. Mass Spectrometry
Chapter 11. Other Technologies
Part II. Bulk Detection Technologies
Chapter 12. Introduction to Bulk Detection Technologies
Chapter 13. X-ray Technologies
Chapter 14. Millimetre Wave Imaging Technologies
Chapter 15. Neutron Technologies
Chapter 16. Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Technology
Appendix 1. List of Explosive Materials
Appendix 2. Properties of Common Explosives
Appendix 3. Introduction to the Receiver Operating Characteristic Curve
Appendix 4. Data Fusion