The Advantages of Passive Groundwater Sampling
Since passive groundwater sampling was introduced over 20 years ago, the reliable, cost-effective sampling collecting alternative to groundwater purging has gained wide acceptance by environmental regulators and consultants.
This form of groundwater sampling allows the collection of a representative sample from a discrete position within the well screen without active groundwater transport induced by pumping or other techniques. Under natural gradient conditions, samples collected within the well screen, without purging, can be considered representative of the surrounding formation groundwater at a given time and depth interval.
Common advantages of passive sampling include that the sampling product:
- is relatively easy to use;
- can be deployed in most wells;
- can sample discrete intervals in a well;
- is practical for use where access is difficult;
- can be deployed in series to provide a contaminant profile;
- has no depth limitations;
- reduces field sampling variability resulting in highly reproducible data;
- allows rapid field sample collection;
- decreases field labor costs for long-term monitoring;
- minimizes sampling derived waste;
- minimizes purge water generation and associated disposal costs; and
- is an environmental-friendly, sustainable practice.
Passive diffusion samplers have evolved to meet growing groundwater sampling needs and are used to sample a wide range of analytes including VOCs, metals, ions, and compounds of emerging concern, such as 1,4 dioxane and PFAS. Field case studies demonstrate that these products produce accurate sample concentrations and provide significant cost savings compared to low-flow and volume purge.
Since 1998, EON Products has provided the widest selection of low-cost, easy to use and reliable passive groundwater sampling techniques. Our Equilibrator™ Passive Diffusion Sampler and the HydraSleeve™ passive grab sampler are the most-used passive groundwater samplers in the world, supporting hundreds of thousands of successful sampling events. EON’s constant innovation and industry engagement continue to produce new and more versatile passive groundwater samplers to meet growing environmental and budgetary needs.