An Eddy Current Separator consists of a short belt conveyor that has its drive located at the return end and a high speed magnetic rotor system installed at the discharge end. The magnetic rotor, which is positioned within a separately rotating non-metallic drum, revolves at around 3000 revolutions per minute during operation whilst the outer drum cover rotates at the speed of the Eddy Currents’ belt conveyor.
As the rotor spins at these high speeds, an electric current is induced into conducting metals. The induced electric current produces a magnetic field, which opposes the field created by the rotor, repelling the conducting metals over a pre-positioned splitter plate. The remaining materials such as plastics, glass and other dry recyclables will simply free-fall over the rotor, separating them from the repelled metals.
Eddy Current Separators
The Master Magnets range of ECS units consists of 4 models, all of which differ in their separation and throughput capabilities to ensure that the most cost effective solution is always applied for a customers’ specific application.
High Intensity ECS Units
The High Intensity ECS units are specifically designed to handle the separation of small and difficult non-ferrous particles that require high repulsive forces for an accurate separation. This type of unit has a 300mm diameter, 24 pole rotor and is available with operating widths of up to 2m.
The Eccentric ECS units are intended to be used where the product size is below 10mm. The eccentric ECS has a 190mm diameter 12 pole rotor, which uses specially manufactured magnets to maximise the repulsive forces over the smaller diameter. The rotor is positioned inside the outer drum, towards the discharge point of the material flow, allowing the concentrated magnetic force to separate metals as they leave the belt conveyor.
ECS ‘R’ Type
The ‘R’ Type fits into the ECS range between the Can Sorter and the High Intensity units, incorporating features of both machines. The ‘R Type’ can be manufactured up 2to 1250mm wide and is designed to be used in general recycling applications, where non-ferrous metals are +20mm.
For more information on the ”R Type’ ECS, please click here.
The Can Sorter
The Can Sorter is specifically designed for the separation of non-ferrous beverage cans from dry recyclables. Can Sorters are low-cost alternatives to larger Eddy Current units for customers that have simple can sorting applications, which will not require high specification machines.
For more information on the Can Sorter, please click here.
As standard, all of the Master Magnets range of ECS units are delivered with a vibratory feeder,chutes, covers and a base frame. Also supplied is a variable speed control panel, which allows the rotor and belt speeds to be tailored for specific separation processes.
Other optional extras that can be supplied with a Master Magnets ECS include:
- A high powered Rare Earth drum magnet can be utilised in applications with high ferrous content to remove small particles of ferrous, which may damage the rotor cover if caught underneath the belt.
- Rotary or static belt cleaning brushes for use in applications where the product may be wet or sticky.
Eddy Current Separators
Eddy Current Separators are increasingly used wherever separation of non-ferrous metals from a product stream can give a more valuable product, whether the end use is in recycling, waste reduction, raw material production or any other process whereby separation is beneficial.
Typical examples of applications are :
- Separation of non-ferrous metals in auto shredder residue
- Separation of non-ferrous metals from solid waste incinerator ash
- Sorting of aluminium beverage cans from non-magnetic recyclables
- Removal of non-ferrous contamination from crushed glass cullet
- Separation of non-ferrous dross from foundry sand
- Non-ferrous metal removal in WEEE recycling plants
- Removal of aluminum components in UPVC window recycling
- Separation of non-ferrous metals from wood waste
- Separation of non-ferrous metals from plastics
- Separation of non-ferrous metals from electronic scrap
- Separation of non-ferrous metals from car recycling applications