E-Z Tray Air Strippers (U.S. Patent Number 5,518,668) are sliding tray, stainless steel air strippers used to remove volatile organic compounds (VOC) from groundwater. E-Z Tray Air Strippers exclusive design results in VOC removal rates up to 99%. E-Z Tray air strippers use lightweight, front slideout trays. This unique feature provides many advantages, such as one man operation and cleaning, and installation in small areas. E-Z Tray air strippers are available in configurations with 4 or 6 trays, with maximum flow rates from 1-25 gpm (4-100 Lpm) to 1-250 gpm (4-946 Lpm).
New, larger models of E-Z Tray air strippers increase the flow rate capability of the company air strippers lineup fourfold, from a maximum 1-250 gpm (4-100 Lpm) to 1-1,000 gpm (4-3,784 Lpm). Combined with the easier maintenance and smaller footprint of QED's sliding tray air strippers, this has led to their becoming the preferred choice for major remediation and process stream projects in the US and abroad.
These air strippers are engineered to serve in larger, process-type projects involving multiple treatment stages, where they are an effective component of large-scale water or wastewater processes in manufacturing, refining, chemical processing and other industries. They can act as a pre-treatment stage for other process elements, such as large aerobic biotreatment units, removing VOCs at much lower airflow rates to reduce the costs of off-gas treatment.
- Single person cleaning.
- Easy accessibility
- Space and construction size savings.
- High efficiency VOC removal - up to 99%
What is air stripping: Air stripping is the process of transferring or removing pollutants and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from liquid (e.g. contaminated groundwater and waste streams) to air.
Air stripping is an effective tool for removal of DBP (disinfection byproducts) and THM (trihalomethanes) from potable water supplies, as demonstrated by many existing installations, studies and reports. The EZ Tray air strippers from QED Environmental Systems provide a unique set of advantages for DBP and THM removal. EZ Tray air stripper advantages for potable water treatment are demonstrated by the success reported by the City of Santa Cruz, California.
Some examples of EZ Tray advantages for disinfection byproduct and trihalomethane removal include:
- The EZ Tray stripper is easy to monitor and maintain, because of the transparent front panels, all stainless steel construction, and slide out trays for cleaning if needed.
- Very high efficiency removal levels are available when needed– up to 99.99%
- The online EZ Tray performance modeler provides accurate DBP and THM removal efficiency estimates for site specific process conditions, initially to aid equipment selection and later to evaluate the effects of alternative process conditions.
- The EZ Tray is certified by NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for drinking water applications.
- The EZ Tray’s high removal efficiency in a compact, self-contained unit, its low height and small footprint combine to provide lots of flexibility to fit into existing facilities. One example is using an EZ Tray out in the water distribution system at points where long transport times can lead to reformation of disinfection byproducts and trihalomethanes.
- The EZ Tray air stripper’s design strength is its ability to handle solids and fouling conditions, so it can be located where most beneficial in the water treatment process string.
EZ Tray air strippers are also very versatile, in that they are widely used around the U.S. for VOC contaminant removal, as shown in the list below. These cities have enjoyed the EZ Tray advantages listed above in meeting their water quality goals. Many of these sites especially valued the low profile of the EZ Tray design compared to traditional air stripping towers. The 8.5-10 ft. height of the EZ Tray has allowed placement within existing buildings. This low height makes inspection and maintenance much safer and easier because it avoids the structures and risks associated with employees having to scale 20-30 ft. tall traditional tower strippers, especially under adverse weather conditions.
As contaminated groundwater enters through the top of the air stripper, millions of air bubbles are forced by the blower pressure up through the perforated trays, vigorously aerating the water to a froth and removing volatile contaminants (VOC) as gravity pulls the water down through each tray.
This simple, revolutionary technology delivers up to 99% VOC removal, while the low maintenance and easy access cut O & M costs dramatically.