Sierra CalTrak - Model 800 - Highest Accuracy Gas Flow Calibration Primary Standard
Bring the world’s most accurate flow standard to your lab with the CalTrak 800. The 800 is used for calibration and verification of: Mass flow meters, Controllers, Variable area flow meters.
Also used for the precision in-situ calibration of industrial flow meters and controllers, the 800 is ideal for customers who require the very best flow meter accuracy to do their job right. Avoid the cost and downtime delay of sending out instruments to be calibrated with the CalTrak 800, perfect for owners and users of many flow instruments (more than 25) that require calibration/verification one or more times a year.
Every 800 is manufactured to ISO 17025 standards at a NVLAP-accredited lab using assets that are directly traceable to NIST.
All of our CalTrak models contain a nearly frictionless graphite piston that moves freely inside a borosilicate glass tube. When the parallel bypass valve is closed, the gas flow is directed into the tube to push the piston up. Two photo-optic sensors detect the piston as it travels past.
The distance the piston travels between the two sensors is precisely defined and represents a known volume. Accurate crystal-based timers drive a microprocessor which calculates the rate of rise. This defines the volumetric flow rate. At the same time, extremely accurate temperature and absolute pressure sensors collect data used to calculate the mass flow rate.
- Highest accuracy of ± 0.15% of reading gas mass flow rate
- Broad flow range from 0.5 sccm up to 100 slpm
- Quick, easy to use, automatic data capture
- Portable and battery operated
- Results directly traceable to NIST
- The performance of only the highest level metrology laboratories can now be yours
- Highest accuracy primary standard for labs & industry (compare at ± 0.15% of reading)
- Innovative – 100:1 turndown ratio; widest flow range of all CalTrak systems
- Proven dimensionally-based primary standard accuracy backed by a rigorous uncertainty analysis
- Manufactured to ISO 17025 standards at a NVLAP-accredited lab
- Collected data is directly traceable to NIST
- Surpasses pressure-based secondary methods
- Everything you need to do your own flow calibration
- Less expensive than most popular secondary standards
- Field portable and battery powered
- Suitable for most non-corrosive gases
- Accurate and reliable gas flow readings independent of gas species measured
- Reading options: Single, continuous or burst, with user-selectable averaging from 1 to 100
- Run automatically in continuous mode or operate manually (one flow reading at a time)
- Take up to up to 100 measurements in an average continuous mode sequence
- Easy to use, large LCD readout screen and 23-button keypad
- Generates calibration certificate easily
- Communicate via RS-232, USB, and use free CalSoft® software included
- CalSoft® software automatically acquires flow data for easy data export
- Kit consists of a base and five interchangeable flow cells
- Entire kit is packaged in a Pelican case for safe transport
- Each flow cell has a specific flow range
- Each flow cell is easily changed (no tools needed) within seconds
- Flow cells can be purchased separately; Get started with one, add more later
- Cover a broad set of instrument flow ranges at your facility
- No mercury or other hazardous materials
- Low maintenance
- All clean gases, non-corrosive, humidity less than 70% non-condensing
- Mass and volumetric flow rate
- Accuracy: 5 sccm to 100 slpm*
- Volumetric: ±0.15% of reading
- Mass: ± 0.15% of reading*
- Accuracy: Ultra Low flow 0.5 sccm to 50 sccm*
- Volumetric: +/-0.25 plus 0.002 ccm
- Mass: +/- 0.25% of reading*
- Overall flow range: 0.5 sccm to 100 slpm (Five interchangeable flow cells available)
- 800-3: 0.5 sccm to 50 sccm*
- 800-10: 5 - 500 sccm (0.5 slpm)*
- 800-24: 50 - 5000 sccm (5.0 slpm)*
- 800-44: 500 - 50,000 sccm (50 slpm)*
- 800-75: 1000 sccm -100 slpm*
- For higher flows, see CalTrak XL flows up to 1500 slpm*
- Flow mode: Pressure or suction
- Operating temperature:
- Volume: 5°C to 40°C (41°F to 104°F)
- Mass: 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 81°F)
- Ambient temperature:
- 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F)
- Operating pressure:
- 15 psia (1.03 barA)
- AC power adapter/charger:
- 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- 12V DC, >500ma, 2.5 mm, center positive,
North American standard, others available
- Internal continuously chargeable sealed lead-acid battery
- 6-volt lead acid battery
- Operational Time (5 cycles/min)
- Height: 17 inches (436 mm)
- Width: 6 inches (152 mm)
- Depth: 11 inches (280 mm)
- Base: 43.5 oz (1233 g)
- Cells: 80 oz (2300 g) to 160 oz (4535 g) flow cell dependent
- CE approved
- RoHS compliant
- Digital communications: RS232 / USB Port
CalTrak 500 and 800 are a true primary standard in every sense of the word, because their accuracy is based upon primary SI units: The interior diameter of the glass measuring cylinder; the length of piston travel within the cylinder; and the time it takes the piston to travel this distance, implying a known volume. Our patented technology, therefore, offers accuracies at the level of national laboratories in one portable device.
Sierra’s CalTrak models contain a nearly frictionless graphite piston that moves freely inside a borosilicate glass tube. When the parallel bypass valve is closed, the gas flow is directed into the tube to push the piston up (see Figure 1).
Two photo-optic sensors detect the piston as it travels past. The distance the piston travels between the two sensors is precisely defined and represents a known volume. Accurate crystal-based timers drive a microprocessor which calculates the rate of rise. This defines the volumetric flow rate.
At the same time, extremely accurate temperature and absolute pressure sensors collect data used to calculate the mass flow rate.
Volume: 5°C to 40°C (41°F to 104°F)
Mass: 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 81°F)
15 psia (1.03 barA)
15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F)
0°C to 70°C (32°F to 158°F)
Non-corrosive, humidity less than 70% non-condensing
Suction and pressure
Pressure & Suction Fittings
See Table 1 Flow Cell Specifications on page 2
1 year; battery 6 months
CE; RoHS compliant
Built and calibrated to ISO 17025 by NVLAP-certified laboratory. All calibrations traceable to NIST.
SL500: base with modular, interchangeable flow cells (three)
SL800: base with modular, interchangeable flow cells (five)
Base: 3.5 kg (17.8 lbs)
Cells: 85.1 oz (2412.5 g) to 88.4 oz (2507 g) flow cell dependent
Base: 4.5 kg (10 lbs)
Cells: 80 oz (2300 g) to 160 oz (4535 g) flow cell dependent
AC Power Adapter/Charger
100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
12V DC, >500ma, 2.5 mm, center positive, North American standard, others available
Internal continuously chargeable sealed lead-acid battery 6 volt lead acid battery; battery Operational Time (5 cycles/min)
Backlit LCD graphical display; Four directional arrow buttons on the control panel allow you to navigate through the menu; user selectable flow units plus time intervals
Software System Requirements
Windows® XP, Windows® 7
Microsoft Excel® 2003 and up
- Captures flow data from your CalTrak instrument for easy export into common software packages, a PC, or Microsoft enviornment.
- Real-time data monitoring
- Upload the latest version of the firmware to your CalTrak
- Enter flow rates from pumps or other flow source or flow meters and calibrate the flow source.
- Compare the flow measurements from your CalTrak precision calibrator.
Mass Flow Controllers Sierra’s popular Smart- Trak® 100 Series Mass Flow Controllers are ideal for generating and maintaining a constant flow of gas so that any type of flow meter can easily be calibrated. Special versions of the SmartTrak are available to cover the range of each CalTrak flow cell. With the built-in display and controls, SmartTrak is a complete gas flow generation system.