Invenio - Stop.Watch Logger for Leak Detection
By installing our patent pending Stop Watch system on all available stop taps in an area, we can account for where the water is being delivered, helping the water company to understand how much of the flow is due to usage, internal plumbing loss, external supply pipe leakage and leakage on their network.
Since 2015 we have surveyed over 20,000 properties in 50 areas across the UK. These areas have included district meter areas (DMAs), consumption monitor areas (CMAs) and industrial estates. In all cases we have been able to account for the water through the area meter as water delivered or network leakage.
Using our Stop.Watch logger which does not rely on a flow meter, we have found:
- Night use higher than estimated; up to 7.5 l/property/hour in one District Meter Area
- A significant proportion of properties with a customer side leak; up to 10% in one District Meter Area
- A mis-match between the area supplied by the area meter
- Unknown connections with water being used or wasted
- Water being used from un-metered fire mains
The full Stop.Watch survey method is suited to:
- Water accounting in Consumption Meter Areas to better understand consumption levels
- Water accounting in problem District Meter Areas to understand the cause of high night flow
Stop.Watch surveys for leak detection can be used for
- Finding customer side leaks as part of a leakage reduction programme
- Identifying properties with plumbing losses for better understanding of the level of plumbing losses and to improve water efficiency
- Prioritising leaks for repair by flow rate