Leopold - Filterworx Performance Filter
Leopold engineers have been at the forefront of gravity media filtration since 1924. With more experience than anyone in the industry, we can help you analyze, evaluate and design all aspects of your complete filtration system.
Evaluate influent water qualities, including seasonal changes and demand requirements, and determine the best pretreatment options.
Select the best media characteristics, media quality, bed composition, bed depth and grain size distribution to match the filter configuration, influent quality, pretreatment processes and required filtrate effluent quality.
Determine optimal loading rates and best design configuration to meet site conditions and operational requirements.
Design the backwash process to restore original head loss, maintain solids storage capacity and maximize filter runs while minimizing power costs and wastewater generation.
- Potable drinking water treatment
- Tertiary wastewater treatment
- Nutrient removal in water or wastewater
- Reverse osmosis membrane desalination pretreatment
- Water reuse
- Biological Active Filtration (BAF)
Water challenges addressed
- Aging infrastructure
- Harmful algal blooms
- Water scarcity
- Contaminants of emerging concern (pharmaceuticals, personal care products)
- Cryptosporidium and giardia
- Reduction of disinfection byproducts
- Taste and odor
Backwash water troughs
Xylem's Leopold fiberglass backwash water troughs are used in water and wastewater filters to provide uniform removal of wash water during backwashing. Molded of densely laminated fiberglass-reinforced plastic, Xylem's troughs are durable, corrosion resistant, reinforced for strength and stiffness, and maintenance free. They are easy and economical to install, with no costly forming work, and all mounting brackets, hardware, and stabilizers are stainless steel.
Engineered Filter Media
Leopold Engineered Filter Media is processed in a unique, state-of-the-art facility specifically designed to produce anthracite filter media with low uniformity coefficients (UC). What truly sets Xylem apart from most of other media processors is moisture reduction prior to screening. Reducing the moisture in the raw feedstock greatly enhances screening efficiencies, enabling more anthracite to be shipped – and less water – and to produce multiple distinct media sizes all with UCs below 1.30.
Leopold flat-bottom flumes reduce excavation requirements and support structures. This simplifies new construction, resulting in substantial cost savings. Filterworx systems can also be designed with front flumes, center flumes or H flumes, or even wall sleeves for conversion of an existing basin. A Leopold filter can be arranged to achieve the best and most cost-effective layout.
I.M.S 1000 and 200 media retainers
Providing a more effective option than using gravel in most applications, the I.M.S 1000 and 200 media retainers are engineered to allow for improved backwashing and improved air and water distribution for cleaner media. Thanks to their physically rigid construction and precision engineered injection molded slots, the I.M.S 1000 and 200 media retainers eliminate dead spaces and provides longer filter runs reducing overall operating costs. The patent pending baffles on the bottom of the plates are designed to ensure air doesn’t roll to the high end of the caps. The I.M.S media retainers replace up to 14 inches (36 cm) of gravel media support allowing for the same media depth in less vertical space and longer air/water backwash.
Filterworx system controls continuously monitors filtrate quality and filter bed conditions. The filter is backwashed only when needed and only for as long as needed. Filtrate quality and filter run volumes are optimixed, while reducing energy consumption and wastewater generation. Filterworx controls keep the filter well conditioned, extending the life of the filter. Filterworx system controls use standard communication protocols that easily integrate into most other plant control or SCADA systems.
Underdrains collect filtered water during the filter run, and distribute air and water during the backwash cycle. Providing cleaner filters mean longer filter runs and higher water efficiency, more product water, and less waste. This lowers operating costs per gallon or liter of filtered water. All Leopold underdrains, Type S, Type SL, and Type XA, deliver the superior performance that has made the Leopold underdrain the industry leader.
- Potable Water, Wastewater, Desalination Pretreatment Construction type
- New or existing regardless of current underdrain type Contaminates removed
- Potable Water: Particulate, Turbidity, Organics, Iron, Manganese, TOC; Wastewater: Total Suspended Solids, Ortho-phosphorus, Nitrate, Organics; Desalination Pretreatment: Particulate, Silt, SDI reduction
- Flow rate 1 MGD+ (3,788 m3/day+)
- Flume types suitable Flat Bottom Flume, Front Flume, Center Flume, H-Flume
- Process warranties offered Warranties on effluent quality
- Single source responsibility Yes, to supply all system components
- Standards met AWWA, ASTM, British DWI, French
- Types of backwash suitable Water only, sequential air followed by water, concurrent air/water and sustained air/water
- Blower types Positive Displacement, Centrifugal
- Control system Automatic, Manual, Semi-Automatic
- Dual parallel lateral underdrain available Type XA , Type S, and Type SL
- Flow measuring instruments Venturi, Mag-meter, transit time
- Instrumentation Turbidimeters, Particle Counters, Nitrate, Phosphorus, TOC, DO
- Media retention available Yes, stainless steel
- Media support systems available Graded gravel, I.M.S 200 media retainer or I.M.S 1000 media retainer
- Pump types Submersible, end suction, split case, vertical turbine
- Trough types Fiberglass, Stainless Steel
- Types of media that can be used Silica Sand, High density sand, Anthracite, Granular Activated Carbon, Expanded Clay
- Valve actuator Electric, pneumatic, hydraulic
- Valves Butterfly
Xylem offers a range of advanced wastewater and water solutions to help operators around the world achieve their required water effluent while delivering optimal performance, reliable operations and substantial energy savings no matter what industry or application. Working with customers, Xylem listens, learns, and adapts to local environments, ensuring the best possible design, customized to meet their specific needs. Below are some recommended industries and applications.