Ludlum - Model 3276 - Multipurpose Digital Meter
The Model 3276 is a versatile instrument that can be used for multiple radiation detection or measurement purposes. It can be combined with either internal or external radiation detectors to detect alpha, beta, and gamma radiation in applications such as frisking or area monitoring. Radiation can be measured in several units and modes, including: count rate, exposure rate/dose, activity rate, integrated exposure/dose, time-averaged rates, and scaler counts.
When used as an area monitor, the mode choices can be limited to just the RATE mode, appropriate for constantly scanning the radiation level. The units can also be limited to a single set of radiation units so that the display is always showing the same measurement. The audio is limited to activating on an alarm condition, rather than the click-per-event or sigma alarm more appropriate to frisking.
The Model 3276 features a large backlit LCD (liquid crystal display), an audio warning, and intuitive design. The instrument body is made of lightweight, rugged aluminum. It is not intended for outdoor use and should be protected from splashing water. The attached metal handle facilitates transportation between sites. The instrument can be wall-mounted for area monitoring applications or mounted to a stand (part number 4498‑784) for desktop applications such as frisking.
Setup of the instrument is accomplished through the front-panel buttons, or through software available from Ludlum Measurements. The advanced user or administrator can set:
- Calibration Constant
- Dead Time Correction
- High Voltage
- Pulse Threshold
- Detector Current Overload Threshold
- Loss of Count Alarm Time
- Primary and Secondary Units
- Primary and Secondary Minimum and Maximum Displays
- Primary and Secondary Unit Alarm Levels
- Primary and Secondary Count Units
- Primary and Secondary Count Units Minimum Displays
- Primary and Secondary Count Alarm Levels
- Response Time
- Auto-Response Rate (Fast or Slow)
- Available Operational Modes
- Count Time
- Auto Shutdown Time
- Area or Frisker Mode
- Sigma or Click Audio Mode
Front-panel setup can be disabled via the internal switch on the Model 3276 in order to protect settings from inadvertent changes.
The instrument is operated with a wall-mounted DC supply that provides 9 Vdc and has interchangeable prongs to operate on 100 to 250 Vac at 50 to 60 Hz in most areas of the world. Four alkaline 'AA' batteries supply backup power for operation from -20 to 50 °C (-5 to 122 °F). Battery life is approximately 50 hours under normal usage. A low-battery indicator on the LCD warns when less than 16 hours of battery life remain.
- Simple Setup and Use
- Versatile Instrument: Can Be Combined with Various Detectors as an Area Monitor or Frisker
- User-Adjustable Alarms
- User-Programmable Units of Measurement, Either English or SI Units
- Uses Either Internal or External Detector for Alpha, Beta, or Gamma Radiation
- Standard Alkaline (4) “AA” Battery Power or 9 VDC Wall Mount Transformer