Model GSM-506 - General Purpose Survey Meter
This is the meter that provides dual measurement type functionality or extended range capability. The dual detector/purpose capability, makes it an excellent choice for emergency response kits or any other applications where two probes measured by one instrument makes both practical and economic sense. The instrument houses an internal GM tube that measures 0-2000 mR/hr (0-500k cpm) and also allows an external probe of your choosing to be connected so you can easily switch between each without any hassle. The GSM-506 employs a traditional analog meter driven by a microprocessor electronics and is accompanied with an audio output.
Unlike most analog meter types, the GSM-506 is auto-ranging so as the countrate exceeds the meter scale range currently displayed, it automatically shifts to the next higher or lower scale. Brightly lit LEDs on the meter clearly inform the user whether they are on the X1, X10, X100, or X1000 scale. Another highly useful feature is the ability to switch between countrate (CPM) and dose (mR/hr) modes of operation for taking different measurement types.
The instrument enclosure is sturdy metal construction for long-lasting, industrial use applications. The controls are all clearly indicated on the front panel to facilitate ease of use. The optional external detector of choice is connected via a BNC cable which is supplied at no additional cost anytime a detector is also purchased with the instrument.
- Internal and External Detectors
- Digital Design with Analog Meter Display
- Dose & CPM Modes
- See our well-equipped preconfigured Emergency Kits
- See our selection of radiation detectors for use with this instrument
The most common applications for this instrument are:
Increased Doserate Measurement Range
Connect one of the following external probes to extend the range above 2000 mR/hr range of the internal detector:
- 10,000 mR/hr, Model GP-1003
- 100 R/hr, Model GP-1004
Measure Alpha,Beta, Gamma Contamination
- Switch to the Model HP-265 external GM pancake type detector to scan people or objects that might potentially be contaminated.
Locate Source then Measure Doserate
The internally housed GM probe is primary designed to accurately measure doserate. Locating the whereabouts of the offending source causing the elevated readings can be enhanced with a detector with much higher sensitivity. Choose one of the following high sensitivity detectors to more easily find the source of the problem:
- 90 cpm/uR/hr: Model MRSP-1, 1.5″ x 1″ plastic scintillator
- 120 cpm/uR/hr: Model MRSP-2, 2″ x 2″ plastic scintillator
- 175 cpm/uR/hr: Model GSP-1, 1″ x 1″ NaI scintillator
- 900 cpm/uR/hr: Model GSP-2, 2″ x 2″ NaI scintillator