Safekeeper series forensic evidence drying cabinets are designed to store, dry or otherwise process forensic evidence in the controlled environment of a tamper resistant compartment to maintain the chain of custody. Available in a variety of models and sizes, the Safekeeper series uses industry leading Multiplex™ filtration system, combined with professional design and construction features offer convenience and protect the safety of personnel during use, maintenance and decontamination of the cabinets.
General purpose Safekeeper cabinets are available in bench/desktop and floor-standing models. Selected models are available with two, three or four independent drying chambers, each with its own filtration and control system.
Most models are designed and configured for mobile use in uncontrolled environments.
The Drugkeeper series is designed for safe storage of confiscated hazardous chemicals and illegal drugs. The Safeswab horizontal airflow cabinet is useful for protecting biological evidence collected on swabs from external contaminants, and personnel in the working environment. The Transporter is an 'on-site' fabric chamber developed for transporting evidence from the field to the lab.
Advanced carbon filtration technology offers a safe, high performance alternative to ducted cabinets for a broad range of law enforcement applications.
- Environmental Benefits. Air Science Safekeeper forensic evidence drying cabinets isolate and trap biological and chemical vapors to prevent operator exposure, prevent cross contamination, and eliminate ecological impact through release into the environment.
- Versatile. Each filtration system is designed for specific forensic applications using our exclusive Multiplex filtration technology.
- Easy to Install. Safekeeper drying cabinets are selfcontained; venting to the outside is optional. Downflow and standard units are portable and may be moved from one location to another without filter changes and with minimal downtime. Set-up, operation and filter maintenance are straightforward.
- Energy Efficient. Because filtered air is returned to the room, no demands are required of the facility HVAC capacity for make-up air.
- Cost Effective. Facility ductwork, HVAC and construction costs are eliminated.
- Safe to Use. Cabinet airflow and face velocity protect users from incidental exposures to fumes, odors or bloodborne pathogens.
- Self testing. (selected models) Electronic airflow monitoring assures continuous safety. An electronic gas sensor monitors carbon filter performance.
Managing Forensic Evidence:
Because cross-contamination can occur when drying blood-stained or wet evidence on examination tables, on a fl oor, in a jail cell, shower stall, closet, evidence room or in the trunk of a patrol car, loss of trace evidence and lack of evidence security can compromise a case.
The Air Science Safekeeper series of drying and storage cabinets provide a secure, tamper-resistant area for drying and storing clothing, bed sheets, blankets, towels or other items collected from homicide and sexual assault cases. Safekeeper cabinets are constructed of
polypropylene that does not absorb liquids, is easily cleaned with household detergents, and can be sprayed with a 10% bleach solution to eliminate bloodborne pathogens and DNA.
Cross-contamination between items of evidence dried in Safekeeper cabinets is eliminated. The cabinet floor may be lined with a kraft paper sheet or an optional evidence collection tray to catch trace evidence such as hair or fi bers that may fall off the substrate.
Optional self-locking evidence security tags provide tamper-resistant 'locks' to keep contents secure during drying, maintaining and documenting the chain of custody and reducing defense challenges to evidence handling.
The Air Science Multiplex filtration system prevents crosscontamination and fully protects the operator from the hazards associated with the evidence. It also provides the cleanest air available in the industry. Because there is no ANSI standard for forensic drying cabinets. Air Science Safekeeper products are designed to meet ANSI ductless fume hood specifications. The Air Science carbon filter provides superior efficiency with an optional safety filter to bring the cabinet into full ANSI compliance.
Safekeeper forensic evidence drying cabinets provide costeffective storage and containment for forensic evidence as it is dried by a constant flow of air. Air Science ductless technology removes airborne pathogens, particulates, fumes, and odors emitted by the contents.
Safekeeper forensic evidence drying cabinets offer these advantages:
- Elimination of putrid odors and chemical fumes using ecofriendly ductless technology carbon filtration.
- Effective protection to personnel from particulate hazards.
- ANSI Z9.5 compliance with optional safety back-up filters on selected models.
- Controlled airflow to dry items of evidence in the cabinet.
- Lockable doors with tamper-proof seals for security.
- Broad range of sizes for diverse needs.
- Selected models available with versatile two, three and four independent drying chambers.
- Easily cleaned to protect items of evidence from crosscontamination.
- Safe and easy to change filters
- Compliant with OSHA/ANSI regulations
- Push-pull shelving, hanging rods and lockable front doors facilitate application of cabinets to many situations.
- Standard height and Downflow models are designed to be moved around a building through standard doorways and elevators. Extra tall units are intended to remain stationary in one room.
Safekeeper FDC-006, shown with Multiplex Filtration System.
A. The main filter is easy to replace, no tools required. The filter clamps tightly against the filter gasket to prevent filter bypass and maintain filter integrity.
A. Filter I.D. Window: When specifi ed, the front cover has a window that reveals the installed fi lter part number and installation date for convenience and to encourage timely filter replacement.
B. Filter Door Key: Filter access keys prevent unauthorized removal or accidental exposure to dirty filters.
C. Control Panel: Electronic controls and displays include switches for the blower and lights, an electronic hour counter and low airfl ow alarm, all located on a convenient front surface panel.
D. Hour Counter: Assists in tracking evidence drying time.
E. Manual Speed Controller: (optional) The operator may set the centrifugal fan motor speed as desired.
F. Airflow Alarm: A continuous air velocity monitoring system alerts the operator upon unacceptable values.
G. Dynamic Filtration Chamber: The dynamic fi lter chamber prevents any possible leakage of contaminated air by pressurizing the fan plenum (positive air) and depressuring the fi lter compartment (negative air).
H. Outside Sidewall Hose: Connects to external water supply, located to avoid tripping hazard.
I. Hanging Rod: All General Purpose and Downfl ow models have a removable stainless steel hanging rod with anti-slide cover.
J. Drain: Central 1.5' bottom drain with anti-siphon trap and strainer to capture contaminants in waste water stream.
K. Push-Pull Shelving: All General Purpose models have three perforated polypropylene Push-Pull shelves with drain channel that can be installed and removed with one hand and may be stored within or outside the cabinet; two included with Downfl ow unit.
L. Color: The cabinet is white with blue doors.
M. Drain Valve: Manual open and close drain valve.
N. Electrostatic Pre-Filter: All pre-fi lters (doors and main) are changed quickly without tools and are of a standard size for simple stocking and ordering.
O. Doors: Blue metal framed tempered glass doors with key lock, tamper proof seal, provide improved security stability and ease of cleaning.
- Standards Compliant: Performance specifi cations and construction meet or exceed OSHA, ANSI and relevant international standards to assure operator safety.
- Construction: The cabinet features white polypropylene and epoxy coated steel construction; tempered glass doors; and 110V, 60Hz single phase electrical supply. (other voltages are available on request)
Following are a comparison of shelf and hanging rod configurations for various Safekeeper cabinet models.
- All General Purpose models have three perforated polypropylene Push-Pull shelves with drain channel that can be installed and removed with one hand and may be stored within or outside the cabinet; two included with Downflow unit.
- All General Purpose and Downflow models have a removable stainless steel hanging rod with anti-slide cover.
- Drugkeeper models include open wire adjustable shelves.
- Optional evidence collection and drying trays with handles that fit in the bottom of the cabinet are available on all units.
The perforated polypropylene shelves remove easily with one hand. Shelves are easily adjustable and impervious to harsh chemicals.
General Purpose Safekeeper Forensic Evidence Drying Cabinets.
- Upflow airflow geometry
- 120-180 fpm face velocity (Triplex and Quad models are 100 fpm)
- Activated carbon main filter formulated for General Purpose and Downflow forensic evidence drying captures putrid organic odors as well as other fumes that may be available (i.e. alcohol, solvents, gasoline, etc.).
- Leveling feet standard on XT models; caster wheels standard on all other general purpose models.
- Three Push-Pull shelves per compartment
- Minimal site preparation required.
High strength polypropylene shelves are perforated to permit maximum airflow throughout. Shelves are chemically resistant, easily removable and easy to clean.