Shimadzu - Model TOC-4200 - Online Total Organic Carbon Analyzer
From TOC Analyzers
Highly advanced on-line TOC Analyzer excels in a wide range of applications. The TOC-4200 on-line TOC analyzer is based on the EPA approved 680°C High Temperature Catalytic Oxidation Method SM 5310B. This established method is recognized worldwide as the most reliable, and efficient TOC analysis technique and is particularly well suited to complex matrices such as wastewater and seawater.
- Remote and SCADA Communications, Enhanced Data Handling
- Analyzes the most difficult matrices
- Capable of analyzing high TSS samples
- Low Maintenance, Low Running Costs, and maximum uptime
- Automatic multi-point calibration, automatic dilution, and automated Quality Control
Supports monitoring TOC removal rate based on EPA Regulations
- Calculates TOC removal rate based on the United States EPA regulations (Part IV 40 CFR Part 9, 141 and 142, 1998)
(when a 2- or more-stream switching option is provided)
Total pollutant load control regulation applications (organic pollution load)
- Converting the measured TOC values allows applications to COD total volume control. (1) TOC → COD conversion functions are installed as standard.
- Reading flow rate signals from a flow meter (2) permits COD load conversion calculations.
Wastewater treatment plant influent (upstream monitoring) and effluent
- Measurements at a short measuring cycle (4 minutes minimum) rapidly capture dramatic changes in organic matter or abnormal effluent.
- The powerful oxidation capacity of a combustion-type analyzer can detect organic matter that cannot be captured using a UV meter.
- The short measuring cycle and powerful oxidation, combined with switching between up to six flow lines, offer detailed monitoring of treatment plants.
Monitoring of river water sampled at water purification plants and treated water (tap water)
- Monitoring changes in river water quality due to rainfall and other factors to provide control indicators for treatment processes.
- Permits simultaneous monitoring of treated tap water.
Plant water (washing water, cooling water, recovered water, boiler water, condensate, etc.)
- Continuous monitoring of water used in a plant.
- Continuous monitoring of pure boiler water assists in the detection of anomalies, such as damaged pipes.
- The short measuring cycle (4 minutes minimum) of the combustion-type TOC analyzer achieves more rapid detection of anomalies.
- The TOC-COD conversion formula must be determined separately.
- With attached option
Compatible with digital bus standard
- Instrument operation, readout of measured values, and checking for alarms can be performed via the RS-485 or RS-232C (option). This function is convenient when managing multiple instruments.
Control sample measurements
- Periodic measurements of pre-selected control samples. This can be used to monitor the condition of the instrument. Automatic calibration can be performed when a certain reference value is exceeded.
Web-based monitoring (option)
- Installing an optional board allows connection of the instrument to a network. The optional board offers web-server functions, allowing real-time browsing of measured values and alarms with a Web browser.
Support for a Wide Range of Samples
From pure water to heavily polluted water
- Measurement ranges from 5 mgC/L full-scale to 20,000 mgC/L full-scale. An option can be attached to support high-sensitivity measurements to 1 mgC/L full-scale.
- The pretreatment unit for heavily polluted water incorporates a unique washing function and special operation sequences to control blockages and biological contamination. This reduces the maintenance frequency.
Automatic dilution function
- TOC-4200 offers sample automatic dilution functions (×2 to ×50) as standard.
- When measuring an acid, strong alkaline, or inorganic salt sample that may damage the instrument or consumables, the effect can be alleviated by diluting the sample.
- A single high standard can be auto-diluted to make a multi-point calibration curve, saving laboratory time.
High-salt sample combustion tube kit
- When measuring samples with high levels of inorganic salt, such as seawater, the inorganic salt can accumulate inside the combustion tube and cause physical blockage or deterioration of the combustion tube. This kit extends the tube-replacement period approximately ten times as compared to a normal combustion tube.
Permits TOC measurements that match the sample's characteristics
- TOC measurement by acidify and sparge TOC also know as non-purgeable organic carbon (NPOC)
- TOC determination by difference between total carbon (TC) and inorganic carbon (IC)
TOC = TC - IC (requires option)
- TOC determination by addition method of NPOC and purgeable organic carbon (POC)
TOC = NPOC + POC (requires option)
Range of pretreatment units to match a sample's characteristics
- Pretreatment units are available for applications from pure water to heavily polluted water.
- Reduces instrument maintenance frequency.
- Switch between measurement points in up to six flow lines, which is more.More economical since the need for multiple instruments is eliminated.
Reliable sample injection system
- A single unit performs sample intake, discharge, dilution and injection.
- Automated sample acidification and sparging.
- Highly reliable ceramic 8-port valve used to switch flow lines
Carrier gas purification function as standard
- A carrier gas purification function is installed as standard for 24-hour continuous operation by the analyzer. Purifying instrument air or compressor air in a facility to produce carrier gas significantly reduces running costs.
N2 carrier set
- Compressed air is normally used as the carrier gas source but high-purity nitrogen gas can be used as the carrier gas as well. Convenient when a nitrogen gas centralized pipe is available in a facility (optional).
Water pump control functions
- Pumps sample only when necessary to save pumping energy and reduce maintenance.
- Accommodates low flow rates and restricted sampling timing.
Notification of replacement periods
- When the time to replace a consumable approaches, a pop-up window notifies the operator and gives instructions.
- Combining the contact outputs and other warning outputs simplifies consumables management.
Color LCD touch screen
- Easy-to-view color LCD
- Easy touch screen operation
- Large buttons
- The calendar simplifies scheduling for automatic calibration, instrument sleep function, control sample measurement, and catalyst regeneration (up to 14 weeks). Batch inputs can be made by specifying a day of the week.
- Off-line sample measurements can be performed in the standby time periods, even during on-line operation.
Generous data storage capacity
- The instrument internal memory can store 20,000 measured values (equivalent to one year's data at a 30-minute measuring cycle), 100 calibration values (equivalent to weekly automatic calibration over one year), and history of 100 alarms.
- Six calibration curves can be saved for each measurement type (TC, NPOC, IC, POC, and TN) to simplify switching between operation conditions.
- USB port fitted as standard below the touch screen. Measured values and measurement conditions can be saved to USB memory. Measured results are saved as CSV files to simplify the management and processing of large quantities of data.
- Item: Description
- Measurement items: TC, NPOC Optional: IC, POC, TOC (= TC-IC, = NPOC + POC), TN
- Measurement principle: 680℃ combustion catalytic oxidation - NDIR detection method
- Measurement range: From 0 – 5 to 0 – 1,000 mgC/L f.s. (0 to 20,000 mgC/L f.s. with dilution function)
- Repeatability: Within ±2 % f.s. *1
- Span stability: Within ±2 % f.s. /day (temperature variation within 5 °C) *1
- Zero stability: Within ±2 % f.s. /day (temperature variation within 5 °C) *1
- Measurement cycle: 4 minutes min. (NPOC, residual IC 2 % max.) *2
- Sample injection method: Syringe pump/sliding injection port
- IC removal method: Acidify/sparge within syringe
- Sample dilution function: Dilution within syringe; dilution factor 2 to 50 Dilution accuracy: Within ±2 % (×2 to ×20); within ±5 % (×21 to ×50)
- Automatic calibration function: Automatic calibration using standard solution (Dilution water is used as the zero standard solution for zero-calibration.) Options can be attached to use up to eight standard solutions and to permit automatic calibration with up to a 5-point multi-point calibration curve.
- Stream switching function: Streams 1 to 6 can be switched (with the relevant option)
- Display, operation: Color LCD with touch screen
- Conversion function: Conversion with a linear expression using required indices (Conversion expression must be determined in advance.)
- Load calculation function: Using the analog input board (option) permits load calculations. (Non-isolated analog inputs; load resistance: 100 ohms)
- EPA TOC removal rate calculation function: TOC removal rate calculation according to the United States EPA regulations (Part IV 40 CFR Part 9, 141 and 142, 1998) (when a 2- or more-stream switching option is provided)
- Data storage function: Store 20,000 past on-line measured values (equivalent to one year's data at 30-minute measuring cycle).
- Offers trend graph displays.
- Data storage device: Store measured values or measurement conditions to USB memory*3. (USB 1.1 or 2.0 USB memory; FAT16 or FAT32; no encryption)
- Recorder: Recording width 100 mm, 6-dot recorder (optional)
- Printer: Thermal printer, 40 characters per line; 110 mm chart width (optional)
- Analog output: Selectable between 4 – 20 mA DC or 0 – 16 mA DC (isolated outputs) With attached option: Up to 12 outputs (load resistance: 500Ω max.)
- Contact output signal:
- Alarm signals
- failure, instrument alarm, power cut, CPU alarm, concentration alarm (upper limit/lower limit/upper upper limit/lower lower limit), measurement halted
- Event signals
- Maintenance, measurement ready, on-line operation, measuring sample, calibrating, regenerating catalyst, measuring control sample, interrupt sample measurement, halted, analog output trigger, analog output flow line recognition signal, measured flow line recognition signal, sampling pump control output (contact capacity: 2 A, 30 V DC / 2 A, 250 V AC; non-inductive load)
- Contact input: Start calibration, stop measurement, start on-line measurement, reset alarm, measurement start flow line 1 to 6, halt measurement (output contact capacity: 1.4 V DC min., 10 mA min.)
- Communication function: Compatible with RS-485, RS-232C (option), and Modbus
- Use the optional Web monitoring unit set to browse measured values and alarms on a Web browser over a LAN.
- Carrier gas: Pressurized air, high-purity air, oxygen*4; supply pressure: 250 to 300 kPa (36-44 psi)
- Optional: High-purity nitrogen*4
- Power supply: AC 100 ~ 240 V ±10%, 10 A, 50/60 Hz
- Ambient temperature: Within 1 to 40°C (34 to 104°F)
- Construction: Indoor wall mounting (optional stand available)
- Dimensions: W550 × D383 × H1240 mm (excluding protrusions)
- (W22 x D15 x H49 inches)
- Weight: Approx. 70 kg (154 lbs.)
*1): With automatic settings
*2): When measured sample is potassium hydrogen phthalate solution and operations to prepare for the next measurement are performed.
*3): Please contact your local Shimadzu representative to verify the appropriate USB memory.
*4): If TN option is installed, oxygen and high-purity nitorogen cannot be used.