Stainless Steel Casting
From Steel Casting
Stainless steel casting, or stainless steel investment casting, is the lost wax investment casting process by pouring melton stainless steel into moulds for solidification, thus to achieve a solid stainless steel component in desired shape. Stainless steel casting is considered when both the properties of steel and corrosion resistance are required. So like other cast steel alloys, stainless steel is widely used material for casting production.
Common Material Grades of Stainless Steel Casting
- 304: The most widely used austenite steel, may be referred to as A2 stainless.
- 304L: This grade has slightly lower mechanical properties than the standard 304 grade, but is still widely used in casting for its versatility
- 316: The second most common austenite steel, also referred to as A4 stainless. SS316 is used primarily for its increased resistance to corrosion.
- 316L: Lower carbon content than 316 stainless steel, which reduces the sensitization effect caused by the high temperatures involved in welding. Besides, it shows better resistance to stress-corrosion cracking.
- PH17-4: Most common precipitation-hardening martensitic stainless steel, which uses about 17% chromium and 4% nickel.
- 2205 Duplex: Used for its good mechanical properties and excellent corrosion resistance properties.
Stainless steel investment casting made in CFS foundry is mainly by silica sol casting process, which is the most precision casting process. Stainless steel casting process involves melting of metal, molding, and creating quality components with constant heating or cleaning. When normal casting components are not able to deliver enough strength and shock resistant features then stainless steel castings are just taken wonderful choice over others. This process can produce high precision net shape castings with no machining. Normally we can control such precision stainless steel casting with tolerance CT5-6 level. Another advantage is that, with this process, our foundry can supply stainless steel casting with no defects.