Yes - Model ARL-9000 and ARL-9100 - Automated Radiosonde Launcher
From Uppers Air
The Models ARL-9000 and ARL-9100 Automated Radiosonde Launchers (ARL) are low-cost systems that permit unattended upper air observations.They are robust and fault-tolerant systems that automate radiosonde observations. They are compatible with a variety of commercial radiosondes. The ARL is ideal for remote locations, manpower limited operations, and mobile requirements. The ARL takes a manually intensive task and reduces it to a periodic maintenance routine. Because the ARL automates every step in the launch process it frees personnel to perform more important value-added tasks, and virtually eliminates human errors. At remote sites, it reduces exposure of personnel to hazardous and/or undesirable environmental conditions.
- LORAN-C and GPS wind-finding options
- Operator safety: operators only need visit the system occasionally to load expendables, avoiding hazardous weather
- Can be automated for preset release times or conveniently remote-controlled via the Internet to capture rapidly changing weather events
- Supports XDR-928 GPS digital radiosondes
- Numerical Weather Prediction: Input for weather forecast models
- Operational Weather: Permanent upper air observing system for commercial and military applications. Mobile and tactical options available.
- Remote Sensing: Ground truth validation for calibration of satellite platforms
- Scientific Research: Global warming and climate change studies
- Field Experiments: ARL-9001 mobile version is ideal for storm-chasing/research
- Space/physical footprint-limited locations
- Labor Reduction: Replacement of human operators at remote or hostile locations