Application Portfolio Rationalization Services
IT departments are under relentless pressure to deliver more for less. Despite budget cutbacks, the growing demand for business-aligned IT services, operational cost efficiencies, reduced IT redundancy and complexity, and ongoing application modernization remains unabated.
CGI's Application Portfolio Rationalization (APR) assessment enables IT departments to target opportunities for near-term cost reduction while laying the foundation for long-term competitiveness. In addition, we offer Managed Application Rationalization Services (MARS) through which our experts execute ARP assessment initiatives, manage the associated risks and integrate transitioned staff.
Our APR assessment process is fast-paced, aggressive, collaborative and flexible, and works in any industry sector. It typically identifies 10-30% savings in IT maintenance budgets, and assessment costs are generally covered by savings realized from the implementation of near-term improvement initiatives.
MARS combines an APR assessment—including inventory, analysis, roadmap and business case development—with a fully managed solution that covers transition, rationalization, wind-down and staff redeployment. We identify short- and long-term opportunities to reduce portfolio costs and complexity, and align the portfolio to support current and future business goals.
Through MARS, CGI achieves desired results more efficiently and with lower risk, while managing human resource issues and freeing your organization to focus on the business at hand.
The value we deliver
CGI's experts provide clients with detailed APR roadmaps for generating immediate cost savings and long term business value. Benefits include the following:
- Significant short- and long-term cost reduction
- Elimination of functional redundancies across business silos
- Reduced IT complexity resulting from disparate systems and a lack of IT governance
- Economies of scale across projects
- Solutions that align the application portfolio with business goals
- Objective, transparent advice based on extensive analysis, industry benchmarking and user group priorities
- Platform for application portfolio modernization
- Flexible and collaborative managed APR services
- Efficient wind-down of lines of business and related applications
CGI has a long track record of delivering expected results through application portfolio rationalization. We offer our clients the following advantages:
- 35+ years of applications expertise (commercial and custom solutions)
- Proprietary methodology and tools to fast-track and deliver actionable recommendations with projected tangible benefits
- Diversified APR skills set, including APR specialists, enterprise architects, information/data/application specialists and domain subject matter experts
- Extensive global outsourcing expertise
- Global delivery model, offering the best mix of onshore, nearshore and offshore resources
- Extensive delivery infrastructure that includes facility clearances, security clearances and ISO 9001quality processes
- Comprehensive support services, including architecture design, application development, systems integration, project management and execution, governance, business process redesign, change management, etc.
- Complementary or supplementary APR support for mainframe rationalization
How to get started
CGI's APR assessments are typically conducted over an average period of 6 to 10 weeks. Assessment activities, client participation requirements, deliverables and timelines are well-defined upfront. Engagement training is provided to client staff in the first week as part of the assessment communications plan. After the initial assessment, we create a roadmap suited to your organization's unique situation.
Our managed APR services begin with an analysis of the application portfolio and an estimate of the total cost of ownership (TCO) for each application. We create a roadmap and risk management plan for a rapid wind-down, estimate TCO for the end state, estimate the cost of transition and develop a business case with tangible cost estimates. We then implement the roadmap following best practices for staff redeployment and leveraging our global delivery model.