Concrete is the most widely used construction material in the world, composed of Portland cement and other cementitious materials such as fly ash and slag cements, crushed rock or gravel, sand and water. Chemical admixtures and other materials are often added to the mix to enhance the performance characteristics. It is commonly reinforced with steel rods (rebar) or wire screening (mesh).
At ACS Testing we are UKAS accredited to carry out a comprehensive scope of testing on fresh and hardened concrete, on site and in the laboratory, covering the most commonly requested tests for physical and mechanical properties. ACS Testing provide highly skilled technicians who all hold current CSCS cards and are comprehensively trained in the safety aspects of the work they carry out in accordance with appropriate method statements and risk assessments.
Fresh Concrete Testing
We provide technicians to carry out on site sampling of fresh concrete.
- Sampling of fresh concrete - composite & spot sampling
- Determination of consistence - slump & flow tests
- Determination of air content - water column & pressure gauge methods
- Measurement of temperate of concrete
- Fresh density
- Manufacture of test samples - cubes, cylinders & beams
Hardened Concrete Testing
Our permanent laboratories provide a comprehensive range of tests on hardened concrete.
- Cube & sample collection service
- Saturated, as received & oven dried density of concrete
- Compressive strength of cubes - including curing
- Cored specimens - examining and testing in compression
- Tensile & flexural strength of core and beam specimens
- Static modulus of elasticity in compression of core or cylinder specimens
- Water absorption, initial surface absorption and capillary rise
Concrete Structure Surveys
We carry out concrete structure surveys to determine causes of deterioration, using visual inspections, obtaining samples from the structure in conjunction with non destructive testing (NDT) methods.
- On-site core & concrete dust sampling
- Determination of concrete strength
- Hilti Ferroscan survey to determination of position and size of reinforcement and depth of cover
- Depth of carbonation
- Half cell potential testing
- Resistivity testing
- Chloride content
- Sulphate content
- Presence of High Alumina Cement (HAC)
- Petrographic analysis
- Endoscope / Boroscope survey
- Crack measurement and monitoring
- Delamination survey
- Rebound hammer survey
We also carry out the following testing on-site and in our laboratories
- Pull off tests / bond strength tests on screeds and coatings
- Pull out tests - Tensile loading tests of structural fixings in concrete & masonry
- Trial mixes & mix design of fresh concrete
- In-situ crushing resistance of screeds
- Relative humidity measurements of concrete & screed