Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) can be described as the economic, legal, social, ethical and discretionary expectations that society has regarding the activities of private sector corporations. As this legal landscape evolves, corporations face increased exposure to and extended liabilities related to CSR. Fasken Martineau's Corporate Social Responsibility Group understands these complexities and can help you plan for and respond to a myriad of CSR demands.
Our lawyers have distinct expertise and skill sets tailored to many of the CSR needs of corporations. We offer a broad base of expertise ranging from government relations and environmental assessment to indigenous and Aboriginal relations, and social and community engagement. Our team has the breadth of experience and knowledge of cutting-edge developments in CSR, nationally and internationally, to advise clients on how to integrate each facet of CSR into an overall strategy. We pair all this expertise with our strength in international finance, human rights, labour relations, anti-corruption, and international dispute resolution, and in major industries such as mining, energy, and oil & gas. In this way we bring together the firm's broad base of expertise in a comprehensive service offering to our clients.
With our integrated team approach, we help clients develop and manage proactive CSR strategies and solutions that respond to the expectations of not only shareholders, but also the diverse range of stakeholders including employees, suppliers, customers, the local and indigenous communities, local, state, and federal governments, environmental groups, international institutions and other non-governmental civil society organizations.
We work with companies operating domestically and internationally, including multinationals. The geographic diversity of our own operations and of our clients has taught us the necessity of a nuanced and regional approach to CSR issues, while at the same time understanding the global context. We are sensitive to the pressures facing clients in the extractive industries (mining, energy and oil & gas), the chemical industry, agriculture, energy and forestry.
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption
- Development and implementation of high level CSR strategy that meets practical business needs, as well as the increasing legal requirements reflected in international CSR standards and policies.
- Advice and strategies regarding relations and agreements with local, indigenous, aboriginal or First Nation communities.
- Reputation protection and management in accordance with new and fundamental developments in the applicable law and CSR principles and policy initiatives.
- Strategic response to international and domestic CSR issues that may become controversial.
- Representation in front of the growing international tribunals that deal with CSR or human rights issues.
- Advice to sponsors and governments on large scale resource development projects in emerging markets including matters related to community linkages programs, resettlement, empowerment, indigenous issues and community development.
- Development and execution of global government and institutional relations strategies for companies to manage their relationships with domestic and international governments.
- Advice on the application of CSR policies in the context of infrastructure project approvals, specifically regarding consultations, mediation and negotiations with landowners, community groups, indigenous groups and government authorities.
- Advice on bribery and corruption issues occurring in developing countries.
- Arbitration and other international dispute resolution options to support and reinforce CSR activities.