Energy and Carbon Management
The impact of climate change can be directly linked to our use of energy and carbon. Natural resources for energy generation are limited and in Europe and particularly the United Kingdom we have seen significant increases in energy prices over the past five years. National and international governments now need to understand how they can continue to support sustainable development while maintaining quality of life. The future cost to society will be profound unless Governments and businesses consider how they can operate sustainably whilst still profitable. The UK Government has introduced numerous regulations to encourage businesses and society to reduce their environmental impact.
The future cost to society will be profound unless Governments and businesses consider how they can operate sustainably whilst still profitable. The UK Government has introduced numerous regulations to encourage businesses and society to reduce their environmental impact.
Ricardo-AEA offers consultancy support to Governments and other public sector bodies in areas including, best practice, policy evaluation and stakeholder engagement.
We also support number of businesses and public sector bodies in their management of carbon and energy. Our services include:
- Current and future planning
o Energy and carbon strategy advice
o Energy and carbon modelling
- Cost reduction
o Energy and carbon mitigation services, auditing and measure prioritisation
o Sustainable building and construction advice
- Compliance and assurance
o Regulation compliance services (CRC and ETS)
o Energy, environmental and carbon assurance and verification services (GHG reporting, ISO50001 and ISO140001)
- Data management
o Energy and carbon footprinting, supply chain footprinting, life cycle analysis, product footprinting
- Communications and cultural change
o Cultural and behaviour change programmes
o Communications plans
Ricardo-AEA works to help Governments and businesses consider how to minimise their impact and cost exposure of increasing energy and carbon dependency. For over 30 years, we have been involved in the development of national and European policy making and have supported businesses to develop robust strategies.
- In the past 10 years we have worked with over half the FTSE 100 businesses and provided them with advice on how they can cut their energy costs and prepare themselves for the future.
- We provided policy support to the UK’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) on the Carbon Reduction Commitment Energy Efficiency Scheme (CRC) and continue support to the Environment Agency as CRC auditors. We also support numerous organisations in their CRC compliance.
- We continue to give ongoing support to the UK Government on the development and annual updating of the GHG Emission Conversion Factors that are used for company reporting. With that expertise we also provide footprinting and assurance support to numerous businesses.
- We are supporting DECC in the analysis of the recent Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) consultation and are helping them draft the compliance guidance document. We are therefore well placed to help businesses prepare for this new piece of regulation.
- We provide policy implementation evaluation services helping the UK Government appreciate the impact of their policies. We are currently supporting the Welsh Government in their evaluation of the ARBED Scheme.