Indoor Air Quality and Mold Services
EFI Global offers a team of qualified microbiologists and chemists to evaluate indoor air quality (IAQ) issues caused by microbiological materials such as molds, carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, temperature, humidity, carbon monoxide, radon gas, particulates and volatile organic compounds. Our staff includes PhD-level human health risk assessors, certified environmental infection control (CEICS) consultants, toxicologists, professional engineers in HVAC and mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) systems, certified microbial investigators and consultants (CMI, CMC), certified industrial hygienists (CIH) and IAQ scientists.
IAQ assessments are generally performed to evaluate occupant complaints or as part of a pro-active program. We also have the capability to test for a variety of indoor air contaminants, e.g. carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, mold, volatile organic compounds, formaldehyde, particulate matter, etc. In addition to our evaluation and testing services, we have the capability and experience to develop, design and oversee IAQ remediation projects.
Our laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and provide analysis for microbial content (fungal and bacterial, viable and non-viable) in air and bulk samples, dust component characterization, bulk and tape lift analysis.
One result of our testing is to provide expert testimony services representing our comprehensive forensic analysis of a building system failure in Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP), HVAC or the building envelope. We consult directly with the facility managers, building engineers and property owners to identify building system and operation issues that warrant corrective action. As part of the site inspection, and based upon information received relating to the building systems, sampling includes:
- Laser Particle Counter to Measure Filter Efficacy
- Airborne Fungal, Bacteria, Cultivated to Evaluate Species
- Hot Water Systems and Cooling Towers for Legionella, PCR and/or Culture
- Carpet and Wall Cavity Microbial Sampling
- Surface Wipes, MEA Plates with Anderson Impactor and Total Fungal Levels
- Thermal Imaging Cameras and Moisture Mapping of Water Impacted Areas
- Real-time Analysis of Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) for Vapor or Fume Entrainment
- Effective IAQ control is accomplished through our inspection and testing process that includes the following:
- Gaining Historical Knowledge, Locations in the Facility of Occupant Complaints and Health Effects
- Review of HVAC Equipment and Systems, Filters, Installation and Use of Exhaust Systems (equipment, sewer, water systems, etc.)
- Review of Water Intrusion, Moisture Control, Water Damage, Porous Building Materials and Potential Microbial Growth Concerns
- Establishing a Management Plan to Control Water Intrusion, Moisture and Reduce Bio-aerosol and Microbial Growth
Our experts also provide Remediation Work Plans and Specifications to address means and methods to remove the microbial contamination and repair building systems. In addition, we perform post-remediation project monitor and clearance testing.