Microbial (Mold) Testing Services
Molds are tiny microscopic organisms that digest organic matter and reproduce by releasing spores. Molds are a type of fungi and there are over 100,000 species. In nature, mold helps decompose or break-down leaves, wood and other plant debris. Molds become a problem when they go where they are not wanted and digest materials such as our homes. Mold enters the home as microscopic airborne spores, from a variety of sources. It is important to know that mold needs moisture to grow. Controlling mold is a matter of controlling the moisture in the home. You know you have mold when you smell a musty odor or see small black, darkened, or white specks along a damp bathroom, basement, or other walls.
Molds do not generally affect healthy individuals, however those with allergies or asthma may be more sensitive and develop reactions to mold. Mold-sensitive people (and those with prolonged mold exposure) may experience hay-fever type symptoms including: coughing, skin rash, running nose, red eyes, nasal congestion, and aggravation of asthma or difficulty breathing. Also, individuals with immune system suppression, lung diseases, are at increased risk for infection from molds.