SiREM - Biotreatability Studies Services
The professionals at SiREM are experts at performing biotreatability studies for a wide variety of contaminants. SiREM routinely performs technically challenging anaerobic studies that maintain the activities of oxygen sensitive microorganisms using specialized protocols and anaerobic chambers. SiREM biotreatability studies are designed as replicated controlled experiments that provide a high level of data integrity and interpretability. SiREM’s interpretative reports summarize data and place results in a site remediation context for use by our customers in remedy selection and optimization.
Biotreatability studies provide information to address site-specific questions including:
- Will contaminants be biodegraded under current site conditions and what are the expected biodegradation rates?
- Will amendments such as electron donors, nutrients, bioaugmentation cultures and pH buffers increase biodegradation rate or extent?
- Will contaminants degrade preferentially under aerobic or anaerobic conditions?
- Are cometabolic biodegradation pathways using gas addition effective?
- What are the degradation intermediates and end products?
- What are the maximum contaminant concentrations degradable?
- What are the degradation synergies/inhibitions?
SiREM Biotreatability studies have been performed to assess biodegradation of a wide variety of compounds including:
- Chlorinated ethenes (PCE, TCE, cDCE 1,1-DCA and VC)
- Chlorinated ethanes (1,1,1-TCA, 1,1-DCA, 1,2-DCA and 1,1,2,2 -TeCA)(PCA)
- Chlorinated methanes (CTC, CF and DCM)
- Chlorinated propanes (1,2,3-TCP, 1,2-DCP)
- BTEX compounds
- Petroleum Hydrocarbons
- Mixed solvents
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)