An Overview of Environmental Laws and Regulations for Citizens Course
This course is being offered exclusively for Citizens Advisory Board Members. NREP/ETMD will provide a one-day course that addresses the requirements of the key environmental laws affecting the DOE, especially its waste management, environmental restoration, and environmental compliance programs. Participants learn about the basics of various laws and regulations and how the public can affect decision-making processes. The course is organized around actual DOE case studies that provide lessons learned and give the students the opportunity to study how environmental compliance issues have been resolved. The strength of the course is its focus on how public involvement is applicable to the various laws and regulations. The detailed course manual serves as a useful desk reference summarizing the requirements of each environmental law or regulation. Participants will receive .8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for completion of this course.
Laws and regulations summarized include:
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and
Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Clean Air Act (CAA) and Amendments
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA)
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)
- Atomic Energy Act (AEA)re use as a handy reference.