Individual Certification Programs
Since 1989, API’s Individual Certification Programs (ICP) have provided the petroleum and petrochemical industries with an independent and unbiased way to evaluate the knowledge and experience of technical and inspection personnel. These certification programs are based on the industry-developed standards that are recognized and used with confidence worldwide.
ICP testing, developed in partnership with industry leaders, confirms that certified inspectors and personnel will demonstrate competence in content areas that are relevant to their practices.
API’s certifications have come to be regarded as the most demanded and desired credentials in the industry. They provide applicants with means to improve their skills through learning and strengthening their overall job performance. API certified inspectors and personnel are recognized worldwide as professionals who are fully knowledgeable of the relevant industry inspection codes and standards, and who are capable of performing their jobs in accordance with the latest and most acceptable industry inspection practices.
API certification allows qualified personnel to establish a career path and make valuable contributions to the safety and quality of industry operations.
API's individual certification programs benefit the industry by:
- Providing knowledgeable specialized inspectors
- Establishing a minimum standard of knowledge and skill for the personnel
- Providing higher management control of inspection practices
- Increasing employer’s confidence and peace-of-mind
- Helping maintain safety and high level of performance
- Reducing potential for downtime because of equipment failure