News Media & Public Engagement Training
This half-day course orients and familiarizes participants on engaging with news media and the public. An additional half-day course is available to a small group (no more than 4) who would like to work on their on-camera interview skills. Who should attend? People who may be a company’s designated or “accidental” spokesperson.
This seminar covers how to prepare for and conduct successful encounters with the news media in a pre- and post-incident environment. In this day and age of the 24/7 news cycle and high stakeholder expectations, the question isn’t whether or not to engage with the news media and the public; the question instead should be “how and when” to engage with them. This seminar discusses the benefits and risks of working with the news media and provides basic information on media survival tips and strategies. Participants also discuss the basics of news media and public engagement and how it relates to their business. Topics included in this seminar are:
- News media relations as seen in terms of managing a company’s risk.
- The basics of the news media industry.
- The role news media plays in today’s society and business.
- Communications requirements and limitations when participating in the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Interview formats and techniques.
- Crisis communications basics.
- How to conduct a press conference.
- How to avoid those “gotcha” questions.
- And more!