DNAPL stabilization using Organoclay at superfund site in Virigina - Case Study
The Atlantic Wood Industries (AWI) site is approximately 48 acres of land on the industrialized waterfront of Portsmouth, Virginia, along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River. From 1926 to 1992, a woodtreating facility operated at the site using both creosote and pentachlorophenol (PCP).
Atlantic Woods Industries
- CQA Engineer:
- EA Engineering, Science and Technology
- General Contractor:
- Geo-Con, part of Geo-Solutions
- Portsmouth, Virginia, U.S.A
The Atlantic Wood Industries (AWI) site is approximately 48 acres of land on the industrialized waterfront of Portsmouth, Virginia, along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River. From 1926 to 1992, a wood- treating facility operated at the site using both creosote and pentachlorophenol (PCP). The site was contaminated from the treatment operation, storage of treated wood and disposal of wastes. This land is adjacent to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. At one time, the Navy leased part of the property from AWI and disposed of waste on site.
Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), PCP, dioxins and metals contamination (mainly arsenic, chromium, copper, lead and zinc) have been detected in soils, ground water, and sediments. The ground water and soil at the site are also heavily contaminated with creosote. Creosote contamination previously migrated into a storm sewer and discharged to an inlet of the Elizabeth River. Sediments in the Elizabeth River contain visible creosote.
The AWI Site was added to the National Priorities List of most hazardous waste sites in 1990. AWI completed an EPA-directed removal action (short-term cleanup) in 1995. AWI installed a liner in a storm sewer to prevent creosote from entering into the sewer and migrating to the river. AWI also excavated approximately 660 cubic yards of contaminated sediment from the inlet. In 2002, EPA, AWI and the Navy reached an agreement to undertake a removal action to cleanup acetylene sludge from an on-site wetland. The sludge removal and the wetland restoration were completed in 2003.