Abwood Machine Tools dates back to a partnership formed by two brothers in the 1920’s in the London suburb of Abbey Wood. Primarily involved with general engineering the business focus turned towards work holding equipment and machine tool manufacture during the 1950’s.
Rapid growth in the manufacturing sector prompted a move to a new factory located in Dartford where high volume production of machine tool vices and surface grinders continued up until a steady decline during the 1980’s which prompted a relocation to a smaller manufacturing facility. During the peak, Abwood Machine Tools produced a variety of models with special emphasise on rotary table surface grinders for the bearing industry and creep feed grinders for the glass industry.
After a number of changes in ownership and company structure, Abwood Machine Tools became part of the Atlanta Trust Ltd group of companies in 2001. The engineering division of the company continues to trade under the name of Abwood Machine Tools with the main focus being on Automated Grinding Equipment for the Solar Industry and special purpose machines to meet the specific needs of customers.