AFS Technology LLC designs, builds and installs automated handling and dosing systems to maximize combustion of whole tire fuel and other waste derived fuels in cement kilns. With over 25 years and at least 70 projects devoted to the design,fabrication and installation of tire fuel systems for the cement industry, John has a solid track record of successful projects that have provided outstanding performance, on-time delivery and in-budget cost. In the waste-to-energy world, all fuel is local. For maximum control of process and fuel costs, cement plants need the flexibility to implement whole tires and waste derived fuels from multiple sources. Our customers are located in countries around the world, including the USA, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Currently we have projects in Guatemala, South Africa, Argentina, Texas, and Nova Scotia. Some international travel will be required, however, most work will be performed in our Ansonia, Ohio facility.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Energy - Waste to Energy
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
AFS Technology's President, John Tiernan, began work on his first tire fuel project in 1991 as a mechanical designer for Tire Management Inc. After a series of successful projects incorporating whole tire fuel for cement kilns, he formed AFS Technology in 2005.
In 2011, AFS Technology was awarded a Green Business Award for Green Marketing Strategy from the Cincinnati Business Courier. In April 2011, AFS Technology received a grant from the Ohio Third Frontier Advanced Energy Committee for the development and demonstrations of a new scrap tire fuel injection device for modern cement kilns called the Tire Skewer.
AFS Technology is currently seeking an Electrical Controls Design Engineer to design and program our material handling systems and special machines. AFS specializes in the design, manufacturing and installation of alternative fuel systems for the cement manufacturing industry. This position requires an experienced individual to lead projects from concept to commissioning. The systems we build typically include a network of AC 3 phase motors, AC servomotors, solenoid valves, hydraulic pumps, various field sensing devices (e.g. photoelectric and proximity sensors), PLC’s of various make, control panels and programming.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Developing complete sets of electrical schematics using AutoCAD
- Developing PLC and HMI programming
- Developing servomotor systems and programming for special machines
- Assisting with sales proposals and project costs estimates
- Writing specifications for electrical equipment
- Effectively communicating with customers and colleagues
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or similar Electrical Degree
- Experience in schematic design work using AutoCAD
- Experience in PLC programming (AB, ABB, Siemens, GE, Yaskawa)
- Experience with HMI design and programming
- Experience in fieldbus protocol
- Ability to lead and participate in project teams
- Ability to work with multiple projects
- Excellent organizational, communication and coordination skills
- Able to travel internationally
- AFS offers tremendous growth potential, challenging work in a pleasant and casual environment, competitive wages, matching IRA and health insurance program.