AGAT Laboratories Ltd.
AGAT Laboratories is a highly specialized, Canadian-based company that provides laboratory services worldwide. With over 30 years of experience, coast to coast locations and over 1,000 employees Canada-wide, AGAT Laboratories is the most geographically and technically diversified laboratory in Canada. Our scientists are highly skilled and specialized in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, geology, engineering and specialty analysis. Committed to local communities, AGAT Laboratories aims to maintain our mission statement in delivering `Service Beyond Analysis`.AGAT Laboratories’ operations encompass 12 scientific divisions to offer full-service solutions to multiple industry types within the Environmental, Energy, Mining, Industrial, Transportation, Agri-Food and Life Sciences sectors.
AGAT Laboratories' environmental laboratories utilize US EPA and Standard Methods for the examination of water and wastewater, as well as CCME, ASTM, OMOE, RBCA, MDDEFP, NIOSH and other recognized methodologies in accordance with both federal and provincial legislations.
Our full-range of services can provide you with the following advantages:
- Fast turn-around of data and rush results available for time-sensitive
- Experienced, highly qualified staff and state-of the-art
- An assigned Business Development Representative and personalized Client
Project Manager for your project needs.
- Strategically located laboratories for easy access.
- A comprehensive branch and depot system for convenient sample drop-off and
- Relationships with leading domestic and international couriers with next-day
service and the ability to assist with sample logistics planning for remote
- Instant access to results at anytime, anywhere through our interactive
environmental database WebEARTH.
The En Core Sampler ®
AGAT Laboratories is the exclusive Canadian laboratory provider of the En Core® Sampler. This device collects, stores and delivers soil samples in one easy-to-use package. It is approved by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment as the only alternative to Methanol field stabilization, eliminating the requirement for chemical stabilization in the field.
Laboratory accreditation provides formal recognition to competent laboratories, thus providing a ready means for you to find reliable testing and calibration services that also meets your service needs.
- Contaminated site testing
- Drilling waste services
- Landfill monitoring
- Groundwater and surface water monitoring
- Mine reclamation and monitoring
- Open Scan compound identification
- Waste Leachate testing
- Detailed soil and water analysis (including drinking water)
- Research and development
- Soil vapour analysis
Our Oilsands Analysis Division provides analytical services for the mining, cold production and in-situ production of oil from heavy oil and tar sand reservoirs. Data generated from our heavy oil services is used by geologists, engineers and petro-physicists to calibrate wire line logs, identify potentially productive intervals, estimate reserves and evaluate reservoir quality for description.
- Core handling
- Core storage (short and long term)
- V-notch sampling
Oilsands Science Centre
AGAT Laboratories' competitive advantage includes two full-service laboratory facilities with over 90,000 square feet of laboratory space dedicated to oilsands operations. Our Oilsands Science Centre consolidates our 30 years of industry innovations and experience to offer highly efficient, technologically advanced laboratories with a client-focused approach.
- Bitumen extraction and Tailing Ponds analysis
- SAGD Simulation Studies
- Digital colour photography techniques
- Fluid Saturations
- Particle (grain) Size Distribution
- Heavy Oil Carbonate Core Processing
AGAT Laboratories' Food Testing Division is specially designed to meet the needs of our Agri-Food clients, food producers, restaurant suppliers and government agencies. Understanding that food safety is one of the largest public health and safety concerns faced today, we have focused on providing our clients with unparalleled quality control and accurate results to meet all of their food testing needs.
AGAT Laboratories' Food Testing Division offers services in food safety, development and consulting including:
• Microbiological analysis
• Chemical analysis
• Environmental quality analysis
• Nutritional analysis and labeling
Along with insuring fast turn-around of data and immediate access to results, we can supply you with dedicated, around the clock service. Understanding the demand for emergency support, AGAT technical personnel are available 24 hours a day with on-call staff in each area of expertise.
- Shelf-life testing.
- Sampling plans and testing schedules.
- Internal and third-party audits.
- Regulatory compliance monitoring.
- Risk management
- Hazard analysis and critical control point planning
- Training for sound hygiene and manufacturing practices
Microbiology Services AGAT Laboratories has fully accredited microbiology laboratories to detect bacteria under strict quality assurance conditions. We can analyze for bacteria using a number of microbial techniques which satisfy the strict environmental regulations across Canada.
Microbiology Services Microbiology Services Genetic Detection
Our Microbiology Department employs the most up-to-date methodology and instrumentation to guarantee our results are of the highest quality and reliability. Our laboratory uses the BAX Q7 System which pinpoints pathogens on a genetic level, ensuring absolute certainty in the detection of bacteria and other microbes.
Our microbiology laboratory is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada for the detection of food borne pathogens and uses methods prescribed by Health Canada as well as methods approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
All of AGAT Laboratories' microbiology laboratories are accredited by the Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation (CALA) for microbiological parameters with the exception of our Quebec Laboratory. This microbiology laboratory is instead accredited for water and soil analysis by the Ministère du Développement Durable, de l’Environnement, de la Faune et des Parcs (MDDEFP).
- Listeria spp and monocytogenes
- Viral Coliphages
- Yeast and Mould
- Salmonella spp
- Total Coliforms
- E. coli 0157:H7
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Clostridium perfringens and botulinum
AGAT Laboratories has been providing an integrated geological and engineering approach to conventional core, special core analysis and unconsolidated core for 30 years. Our geologists, engineers and technicians offer comprehensive reservoir quality analysis, assisting in resolving or preventing potential reservoir quality and fluid sensitivity problems. Within the Rock Properties' divisions, AGAT Laboratories offers a unique, combined source of geological and engineering data that is used in the development and management of petroleum reservoirs.
The following four divisions work collaboratively for our Rock Properties services:
- Routine Core: Conventional core is analyzed for the measurement of core porosity at different vertical and horizontal scales under different physiochemical conditions. The three key reservoir parameters analyzed are porosity, permeability and fluid saturations.
- Geology and Petrology: Geological and petrology data is obtained through Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and X-ray Diffraction analysis for drilling deposits and mineralogy studies.
- Oilsands Analysis: Heavy oil and tar sand deposits are assessed to determine the quality of the deposits. Parameters include porosity, permeability, fluid saturation and the distribution of particle size.
- Reservoir Characterization: Reservoir quality data is collected through special core analysis, Pressure-Volume-Temperature (PVT) studies and scale and corrosion services to efficiently explore, develop and produce petroleum resources.
Routine core analysis frequently emerges as the standard analysis conducted for our clients and can be considered the cornerstone upon which formation evaluation rests. Our Routine Core Division can determine petrophysical properties on both full diameter cores as well as plugs.
AGAT Laboratories' specialized team of geologists and engineers provide a customized approach to conventional testing offering additional assistance for:
- Core handling
- Describing and Depth-Correct Core
- Preparing and cleaning core for client viewing
- Sample selection for analysis
Services Description Porosity can be determined at ambient or reservoir conditions and is an indication of the storage capacity of
Permeability is determined in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Engineers can use horizontal permeability data to define flow capacity, permeability distribution and the profile. Vertical permeability is used to define coning probability and gravity drainage potential.
Fluid Saturations (oil and water) can be determined by retort distillation or by Dean Stark distillation, which helps define the presence and quantity of hydrocarbons within a reservoir.
Grain Density is calculated from the measured dry weight divided by the grain volume of a core sample and can be used to confirm the mineralogy of the core.
Spectral Gamma Log measures the natural gamma radiation of the sample which provides information about the composition and lithology of the formation. The total gamma ray is broken down into the thorium, potassium and uranium components. The gamma ray can be used to help depth correct the core to field logs as well.
Core Imaging provides you with vivid and detailed images of your core in a variety of formats ranging from slabbed core to whole core images, from rotating movies to virtual objects. Core photography is available in flash photography and ulta-violet light and can be used to identify the presence of hydrocarbons.
- Fluid Saturation
- Grain Density
- Spectral Gamma Log
- Core imaging
AGAT Laboratories’ Lubricants Testing Services perform a number
of analytical tests to aid in engine and mechanical diagnostic services for various industries.
We also analyze a full-spectrum of fluids including:
- Engine oil
- Lubricating oil
- Hydraulic and transmission fluids
Our Lubricants Testing operations demonstrate exceptional turn-around times and this division is ISO 9001 and ISO 17025
accredited for specific testing.
Our Maintenance Strategies
With condition-based maintenance, AGAT personnel can:
- Provide you with early warning signs of failure.
- Monitor the condition of your equipment and lubricants.
- Reduce unscheduled down-time.
- Determine optimum oil drain periods.
We recommend being proactive in your maintenance so that we can:
- Identify the root cause of failures.
- Monitor contaminants and identify possible sources.
- Eliminate the source of contamination resulting in longer equipment life.
- Identify minor problems before they become major failures.
- Protect warranties by identifying problems prior to warranty expiration.
Aviation Fuel Certification
Fuel quality is vital to the safety of an aircraft. AGAT Laboratories offers Aviation Fuel Certification to ensure fuel meets relevant specifications and is free of unapproved additives and other contaminants. This service is routinely done for rush turn-around times and often over weekends and holidays.
Diesel and Gasoline Check
When dealing with large amounts of fuel, it is important to understand the quality of the product being used. This is because fuel is such an important part of the engine's operation. For this reason, fuel that may be suspect due to age or storage conditions is recommended to be checked, especially considering the consistently rising pump prices.
- Oil analysis
- Hydraulic fluid analysis
- Coolant analysis
- Contaminant analysis
- Aviation fuel certification
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
AGAT Laboratories has a 40 year history of providing a full range of air services to industries and the government making us a recognized leader throughout Canada. We assist clients in achieving regulatory compliance by evaluating the effectiveness of their air monitoring management systems and providing accurate assessments for their environmental impact studies. We
specialize in source emissions testing, ambient air monitoring, meteorological monitoring, passive air monitoring and data acquisition for a range of industry sources.
Quality Assurance and Quality Control
Rigorous and comprehensive quality programs are implemented to ensure that data collected is complete, representative, accurate and defensible. Our Quality Assurance Program is comprised of the following components:
- Daily data monitoring conducted by staff for every parameter of the past 24
- Organized Staff Training Program involving internal seminars, classroom training, field training and attendance to industry conferences.
- In-house database of sampling and monitoring procedures.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for monitoring, calibration and sampling systems.
- Automated daily zero and single point span calibration as well as monthly multi-point calibrations for continuous monitoring stations.
- Enhanced data validation services available to maximize precision.
- Oil and gas processing
- Power generation
- Pulp and paper processing
- Wood products
- Waste incinerators
- Manufacturing facilities
- Urban areas
- Background rural locations
AGAT Laboratories offers Ultra-trace analysis of Persistent Organic
Pollutants (POPs) such as Dioxins and Furans, PCBs and PAHs via Gas Chromatography/High Resolution Mass Spectrometry. Our Ultra-trace and Toxicology and Specialty Analysis operations are accredited by CALA, the SCC and the MDDEFP.
Natural processes such as bioaccumulation and biomagnification
can concentrate many of these compounds, increasing their threat to living organisms in the environment. For this reason, low-level detection of these pollutants is important.
Our Analytical Services
AGAT Laboratories is capable of providing high resolution, analytical results for the testing of Dioxins, Furans, PCBs and PAHs in varied environmental matrices including:
- Ground/surface water
- Drinking water
Our Ultra-trace and Toxicology and Food Testing Divisions also provide services geared toward the Life Sciences sector. These services include LC-MS-MS technology and some additional GCMS instrumentation.
AGAT Laboratories utilizes High Resolution Mass Spectrometer (HRMS) for our ultra-trace testing. With these instruments available in Eastern and Western Canada, we process samples in a turn-around time of 15 days. Additionally, we have the resources to take on rush-orders in which the turn-around time is 5 to 7 days, depending on the number of samples.
With the HRMS, data results are uncompromisingly accurate to levels at or above detection limits. This results from using exact masses for detection compounds. We use a total of four exact masses to positively identify a compound.
- Perchlorates in environmental samples
- Additional vitamins & sugars in food samples
- Mycotoxins and melamine in food samples and containers
- Comprehensive Pesticide Residue Screening in food samples
- Nonylphenol Ethoxylates and pharmaceuticals in environmental samples
AGAT Laboratories provides comprehensive agricultural analysis to multiple industry types within the Agri-food sector including farming operations, vineyards, ranchers, livestock nutritionists,veterinarians, feed manufacturers, dairy farmers, exporters, importers, growers, crop researchers, government agencies and any other agricultural producers.
AGAT Laboratories’ agricultural testing can assist you in monitoring
nutrients, pollutants, physical characteristics as well as any other variables that can affect operational profitability. Our services provide you with the data information you need to make effective decisions to increase potential yield and quality of your product.
- Soil and Food testing
- Water and Air analysis
- Oil contents testing
- Feed analysis
- Pesticide analysis
- Trace Contamination testing
- Assay Determination testing
- Vitamins and Minerals testing
- Tissue analysis
- Fatty Acid Profiles testing