ARCA is a high performance company with innovative ideas from experienced leaders that have a true passion for preserving the environment. ARCA`s 34 years of experience in the appliance recycling industry includes more than two decades of providing energy efficiency program services for more than 150 electric utilities. A pioneer in developing cutting-edge technology since 1976, ARCA maximizes materials recycling while protecting natural resources from damaging substances found in old appliances. ARCA is proud to have recycled more than 3 million appliances across North America. In July 2008, ARCA continued to take crucial steps toward innovation by becoming the exclusive North American distributor of UNTHA Recycling Technology (URT) materials recovery system for household refrigeration appliances.
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Waste and Recycling
- Market Focus:
- Internationally (various countries)
- Year Founded:
- $100,000,000 US - $1,000,000,000 US
ARCA’s (NASDAQ:ARCI) 36 years of experience in the appliance recycling industry includes nearly two decades of providing energy efficiency program services for more than 250 electric utilities.
A pioneer in developing cutting-edge technologies to serve its clients, ARCA maximizes materials recycling while protecting natural resources from the environmentally damaging substances found in old appliances. Since 1976, ARCA has recycled more than 3.5 million major household appliances for clients across North America.
With more than 850 million major household appliances currently used in the United States, ARCA's three business components are uniquely positioned in the industry to work together to provide a full array of appliance-related services for our customers.
ARCA's three interrelated operations touch all aspects of the life of a major household appliance: our twenty Company-owned stores under the name ApplianceSmart, Inc.® are in the business of selling new appliances directly to consumers; ARCA's regional centers process appliances at end of life to remove environmentally damaging substances and produce material by products for recycling; and ARCA Advanced Processing, LLC employs advanced technology to refine traditional appliance recycling techniques to achieve environmental benefits.
The quantification of energy savings resultant from appliance recycling and change-out programs has been of long-standing interest to the sponsors of such programs from the time that they were first conducted in the early 1990s. President and CEO, Jack Cameron was an early advocate for ensuring the proper handling of R-12 and CFC-11 from old refrigerators and freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers due to the huge energy savings and environmental benefits available to electric utilities by retiring and/or changing out these old appliances.
ARCA’s support personnel have consistently provided the highest levels of design and implementation proficiency in helping utilities achieve their energy savings goals.
In addition to energy-savings, each program presents significant environmental benefits. The U.S. EPA has quantified these benefits in the graphic below.
ARCA is proud to provide three decades of preventing the release of ozone-depleting and high-global-warming-potential refrigerants and foam blowing agents while properly handling other environmentally damaging materials found in old appliances.
The environmental benefits from recycling refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners include:
- Safe management of hazardous materials
- Reduction of energy consumption
- Reduction of emissions of ozone-depleting substances and greenhouse gases
- Prevention of release of PCBs, mercury, batteries and oil
- Reduction of materials entering landfills
- Recovering of scrap metal and other recyclables
Appliance recycling programs prevent many million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2 eq.) greenhouse gases:
- Indirectly by reducing the energy consumed by older operating energy-guzzling appliances and by creating new raw materials for manufacturing
- Directly by preventing the release of refrigerants and foam-blowing agents into the atmosphere
Experience shows that consumers are enthusiastic supporters of appliance recycling programs because they benefit from:
- Lower monthly electric bills from the retirement of energy inefficient appliances
- Utility-provided customer financial incentives to remove spare, operating units from service
- Personal satisfaction in knowing that they have chosen the environmentally responsible approach to disposing of their old appliance
Additionally, customers appreciate their utilities’ sponsorship of appliance recycling programs. A 2005 survey conducted by Creative Consumer Research for Austin Energy asked participants at the end of the program’s first year:
'How does the availability of the Refrigerator/Freezer Recycling Program make you feel about Austin Energy?'
95% said “more positive”
5% said “the same.”
ARCA tailors its appliance recycling services to meet the unique needs of each client. Our comprehensive range of services provide convenient scheduling and in-home appliance collection for consumers, combined with a minimal need for daily administration by the sponsoring utility.
We believe these factors, reinforced by our environmentally sound appliance processing procedures and innovative technology, are what makes ARCA the right choice.
Our philosophy has always been to help our clients capture highly cost-effective energy savings while maximizing recycling and minimizing disposal into landfills. We specialize in high volume programs through which ARCA has processed as many as 100,000 units in as little as 12 months for our clients.
ARCA has nearly three decades of experience in providing successful energy efficiency programs to over 250 utilities, as well as retailers, manufacturers, property managers and local governments.
With all ARCA appliance recycling programs comes the assurance that all appliances are properly and permanently removed from service, never to be resold into the used domestic or export appliance markets. ARCA has made a conscious decision not to be in the used-appliance business.
Throughout ARCA’s history, we have been the leader in the appliance recycling industry by developing equipment, processes and systems to lessen the negative impact of appliance disposal on the environment. We are proud of our three decades of preventing the release of ozone-depleting and high global-warming-potential refrigerants and foam-blowing agents while properly handling other environmentally damaging materials found in appliances.
In addition, ARCA is the exclusive North American distributor of UNTHA Recycling Technology (URT) materials recovery system for household refrigeration appliances.
ARCA's team of seasoned professionals provide program customers with:
- Efficient appointment scheduling via Internet and a toll free number
- Appointment confirmation letter and a reminder phone call one to two days prior to pick-up
- Extended call center hours and multi-lingual agents
ARCA's full trained staff is reliable, knowledgeable and makes the removal process seamless.
- Professional personnel
- - photo IDs and background checks
- Verification that appliance meets qualifications
- Permanent disabling of appliance
- Appliance removal from customer’s home
- Stringent auditing procedures
With all ARCA appliance recycling programs comes the assurance that all appliances are properly and PERMANENTLY removed from service, never to be resold into the used domestic or export appliance markets.
Processing and Recycling
The services ARCA offers are designed to guarantee that every appliance collected through the energy efficiency programs of its clients is fully demanufactured, and hazardous materials and components are removed,
stored, transported and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local rules and regulations.
- Capacitors and ballasts
- Components containing PCBs are destroyed
- through high temperature incineration
- Mercury switches
- Mercury recycled at licensed facility
- Safety-Kleen and Clean Harbors
- Recover CFCs, HCFCs and HFCs
- Large-scale system and equipment designed
- by ARCA in 1988
- Refrigerants reclaimed for reuse by EPA-certified equipment
- ARCA-designed processes and equipment to recover oil
- Oil recycled by licensed reclamation company
Other Materials Recycled