The Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers is the national trade association representing companies who acquire, reprocess and sell the output of more than 90 percent of the post-consumer plastic processing capacity in North America. Our membership includes independent recycling companies of all sizes, processing numerous resins. APR strongly advocates the recycling of all post-consumer plastic packaging, and our goal is simple: we want to increase the amount of plastic material that is recycled in North America. We do that by sponsoring education workshops and webinars designed to help local and state solid waste officials learn more about the technology of plastics recycling and the markets for material; holding APR Design for Recyclability workshops for packaging professionals; working to assist legislators to make decisions that enhance the recycling of plastics; and numerous other market development and technical programs.
We encourage you to explore this site to learn the latest about recycling programs, technical information, and industry activities designed to enhance the collection of recyclable plastics.
How We Do It
APR strives to expand the post-consumer plastics recycling industry through a cooperative effort aimed at identifying and eliminating barriers to successful commercial recycling by:
- Developing protocols for the design of packaging for greater recyclability.
- Improving the quality of post-consumer plastics entering the system.
- Fostering a strong interface with end-user markets.
- Promoting a cooperative testing program for new packaging.
- Encouraging design for recyclability with guidelines and programs.
- Using awards to recognize packages designed to be recycling-compatible and to recognize products made from recycled plastic material.