The Association of Plastic Recyclers is the national trade association representing companies who acquire, reprocess and sell the output of more than 90 percent of the post-consumer plastic processing capacity in North America. Its membership includes independent recycling companies of all sizes, processing numerous resins. APR strongly advocates the recycling of all post-consumer plastic packaging. APR promotes development of the plastics recycling industry by providing leadership for long-term industry growth and vitality.
APR strives to expand the postconsumer plastics recycling industry through a cooperative effort aimed at identifying and eliminating barriers to successful commercial recycling by:
- Developing protocols for the design of packaging for greater recyclability.
- Improving the quality of postconsumer plastics entering the system.
- Fostering a strong interface with end-user markets.
- Promoting a cooperative testing program for new packaging.
- Encouraging design for recyclability with guidelines and programs.
- Using awards to recognize packages designed to be recycling-compatible and to recognize products made from recycled plastic material.
- Educating key audiences including state and local recycling officials, MRF operators, legislators, as well as the general plastic recycling industry.