Aura Scientific, LLC provides a wide array of services in the mercury monitoring and mercury analysis field. We can provide virtually any need, from consulting on Continuous Mercury Measurement Systems to analysis of sorbent traps. Our personnel have been active in the field of mercury monitoring since its inception and have the skills and specialized knowledge to make your program successful.
Aura-Scientific has extensive experience with the measurement of mercury in combustion gas streams. Our experience has included work with the development, validation, and application of mercury measurement methods including mercury sorbent trap methods (Appendix K/Method 30B), wet-test methods (Ontario Hydro and EPA Method 29), and semi-continuous and continuous instrumental methods. The president of Aura-Scientific, Mr. Robert Keeney, has co-authored Appendix K and Method 30B. He was responsible for the development of the thermal analysis technique for sorbent traps. Team members of Aura-Scientific have performed mercury measurements at over 50 power plants under a wide variety of flue gas conditions. This experience has created a large vault of data from which a measurement program can be based in order to overcome potential challenges in mercury measurements in any flue gas matrix.
Our Project Experience
Nova Scotia Power - Aura Scientific performed the Activated Carbon Injection (ACI) System, commissioning testing
for seven different units using Method 30B.
- Progress Energy – Mercury CEMs maintenance and repair program since 2009. Aura Scientific specialists have managed Progress Energy’s mercury CEMs since 2007.
- Progress Energy – Mercury CEMs RATAs by Method 30B since 2009. Aura Scientific specialists have performed all of Progress Energy’s mercury RATAs since 2007.
- Progress Energy – Aura Scientific provided the sorbent traps and analyses for all of the units tested for the Utility ICR, including the oil fired units.
- Steel Mill ICR – Aura Scientific provided the sorbent traps and analyses for over half of the units tested for the Steel Mill ICR.
- Calgon Corporation – Aura Scientific provided the sorbent traps and analyses for Activated Carbon Injection (ACI) System testing for four different utility boilers.
- Cement Kiln Testing – Aura Scientific has provided the sorbent traps and analyses (including speciated mercury traps) for several cement kilns.