Berkeley Analytical Associates, LLC
Berkeley Analytical (BkA) is an environmental laboratory specializing in the analysis of organic chemicals emitted by and contained in building products, finishes, furniture, medical devices, and consumer products such as toys. We provide independent testing and analysis to support product compliance with product certification and building rating programs (e.g., LEED, CHPS), green building codes (e.g., CALGreen, ASHRAE 189.1, IgCC), building studies, research projects, and product development—with a commitment to improving environmental and human health. We’re ISO/IEC 17025 accredited and utilize state-of-the-art environmental testing chambers and instruments to produce rigorous tests and reliable results.
Top Ten Reasons You Want Berkeley Analytical On Your Team
- We put quality front and center. As an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited testing laboratory, you can be assured that all of our measurement results are within specifications for reproducibility and accuracy.
- We offer exceptional customer service. We freely answer all of your questions related to test methods, test results, method requirements, and acceptance criteria—so you get the information you need to make informed decisions. Moreover, we maintain a secure online customer portal so you can track current projects, view test reports, and see your job history.
- We are 100 percent independent, with no vested interest in any product labeling or certification program. Your laboratory test results will stand the test of public scrutiny for potential conflicts of interest.
- We are always at the table. We not only test to the newest standards, we help to write them. We’ve contributed to the development and/or validation of CA Practice 01350 and its latest revision CA Standard Method Version 1.1-2010; ANSI/BIFMA M7.1-2011; ANSI/BIFMA e3-2012; CHPS 2009 Criteria EQ 2.2; and ASTM indoor air quality standards. We also sit on consensus committees developing IAQ and sustainability standards.
- We provide unrivaled technical rigor. With our rich experience in IEQ research and in chemical test method development, authorship, validation, and interpretation, you can depend on our expertise.
- We employ the most current and sensitive methods for identifying and quantifying trace amounts of organic chemicals in air and in bulk samples, so you can push the envelope on product development.
- We have an unparalleled reputation, which is why hundreds of customers use our services and place utmost confidence in BkA test results to inform product development and marketing decisions.
- We routinely provide fast turnaround, with no extra charges, so you can put your test results to work quickly.
- Your test reports belong to you, so you can use them as you see fit.
- BkA test reports are thorough and informative, and are summarized in our user-friendly laboratory 'Compliance Tested' certificates that you can use to demonstrate conformity to the standard. And you can access your reports 24/7 through our secure customer portal for maximum convenience.
Berkeley Analytical (BkA) maintains state-of-the-art environmental chamber testing facilities and GC/MS instrumentation.
We operate small-scale and mid-scale environmental chambers for product testing. These have been designed following ASTM Standards D5116 and D6670, respectively. Field and Laboratory Emission Cells (FLEC) and temperature programmable micro-scale chambers also are available. Micro-scale chambers primarily are used for rapid testing of product emissions for quality control purposes and for studies of semi-volatile organic compound (SVOC) emissions. We currently operate the following environmental chamber testing facilities:
- 26 Small-scale chambers—67 L electro-polished stainless steel
- 4 Mid-scale chambers—6 & 14 m3 with polished stainless steel inner surfaces
- 2 Field and Laboratory Emission Cells—FLEC, Chematec
- Micro-chamber Thermal Extractor, Markes International
Chamber testing requires precise control of sampling events and environmental parameters. All of the flow rates for air inlet and gas sampling are regulated with electronic mass flow controllers, sampling events are electronically timed, and environmental data are continuously monitored and recorded. Our ISO/IEC 17025 accredited quality management system assures that flow rate, temperature, humidity, and other measurements are within specifications for reproducibility and accuracy.
Air samples for field studies and chamber testing are analyzed for VOCs using thermal desorption GC/MS instrumentation. Samples for formaldehyde and other aldehydes are collected using DNPH chemistry and analyzed by HPLC. The analysis of phthalate esters, flame retardants and other target SVOCs in products and in environmental samples such as air, surface wipes and dust is performed by an ion trap GC/MS system with MS/MS capabilities. Our GC/MS instrumentation consists of:
Thermal Desorption - Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (TD-GC/MS) System 1
- Model 6890N Gas Chromatograph, Agilent
- Model 5973N Mass Spectrometer, Agilent
- ULTRA Multi-tube Autosampler and UNITY Thermal Desorber, Markes International, Ltd.
TD-GC/MS System 2
- Model 7890A Gas Chromatograph, Agilent
- Model 5975C Mass Spectrometer, Agilent
- TD-100 Thermal Desorber, Markes International, Ltd.
Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS)
- Model 4000 Gas Chromatograph / MS / MS, Varian
- Combi PAL Sample Injection System, CTC Analytics