C. Gerhardt GmbH & Co. KG
We are one of the world’s leading suppliers of laboratory equipment and analytical systems for food and feedstuffs. Our main focus is on developing and producing automatic systems for reference analysis, rapid analysis and sample preparation – in accordance with the international quality standard ISO 9001. We supply industry sectors that place high demands on accuracy and reliability and for whom long-lasting partnerships, flexibility, and continuous attention to service are essential requirements. Our products are made in Germany and are continuously developed through feedback from our many customers around the world.
What makes us special day-in day-out
We are one of the world's leading suppliers of laboratory equipment and analytical systems for food and feedstuffs. We supply industry sectors that place high demands on accuracy and reliability and for whom long-lasting partnerships, flexibility, and continuous attention to service are essential requirements. That's what we have stood for since 1846 and that's what we are known for. These are the plain facts.
Every day at C. Gerhardt, the difficulties of working in a highly competitive, worldwide market are taken in our stride.
- As a traditional company with youthful leadership, we build on many years of knowledge and develop dynamically and with vigour.
- We see ourselves as a hi-tech manufacturer, combining the latest technology with traditional skills.
- Our products are made in Germany and are continuously developed through feedback from our many customers around the world.
- As a family-based global company, we work intensively as a team to ensure durable success and offer tailor-made specific solutions to each target market through our long-term partners.
- We may be a medium-sized company but we have a strong market position and are extremely reliable.
- We pursue our goals persistently whilst being fair with all our partners.
- Although we are an international company, we also take on responsibilities in our local area.
The family-based global company
C. Gerhardt is a family firm in the finest sense. It has been in family ownership for five generations. Our goal is not short-term success but long-term consolidation and growth. This fundamentally changes our perspective, giving us responsibilities for the future.
Our customers are as important and as valuable to us as if they were part of our family. We feel an obligation to those who use our systems and equipment - wherever they are in the world. Our customers achieve continuously reliable analytical results through unrivalled, ongoing process support and customer service.
The family identity and cosmopolitan atmosphere can be felt throughout our company - from administration, research and development, production through to management level. The company is characterised by recurring values that can be traced back through our history:
Confidence: for us, confidence is fundamental to successful cooperation. Our customers place their trust in our capabilities and our word. We place trust in our staff and their know-how. And we cooperate with trustworthy partners.
Reliability: anyone who deals with us knows that they can rely on us - as employer, supplier, in after-sales service, and as partners on an equal footing.
Long-term vision: it's not just our products that we develop for long-lasting durability, but also our relationships and contacts.
Loyalty: through our loyalty towards customers, staff, and partners, we also enjoy loyalty in return.
Personal touch: different personalities shape and influence our company. We take personal relationships seriously and look after the people we work with.
Involvement: every day our staff strive to achieve the best results, by working together to find a C. Gerhardt solution to customer queries.
Innovative engineering and sound manufacture
The Kjeldahl analysis unit is one of our best-known products. We developed it as long ago as 1884. And it provides an example of what we are about: the development of complete analytical systems for use in the food and feedstuffs sectors. Not individual components of laboratory equipment, but solutions for our customers' projects.
We invest in R & D for this purpose. Many of the projects are started from these customer requests. Experts in chemistry, engineering, and electronics all work together in our team. They work intensively on designing, building, and laboratory testing. Improvements are made until we achieve constant accuracy in our results. This is how we develop new analytical equipment and adapt existing equipment to new projects.
We consider ourselves to be a hi-tech manufacturer. Technically, we are cutting edge and we use the most modern technology. However, much of our work is manufactured and assembled by hand. In doing so, we meet our own high quality standards even when the task is difficult. And of course we only use components in which we have complete confidence.
- Our products are made in Germany. Most of the components are produced in Germany and assembled at our head-office premises.
- We think outside the box and take a holistic approach. We frequently introduce useful technology from other sectors into our solutions.
- Many developments have arisen from cooperation with Bonn University and industrial laboratories. In this way, we utilise the most up-to-date knowledge and experience in neighbouring disciplines.
- Our products are always efficient and state of the art. In order for that to remain so, we are continually on the lookout for innovative solutions.
- Nothing leaves C. Gerhardt unless we are 100 % confident about it. In our applications laboratory, therefore, we thoroughly test the hardware, firmware, and software of our prototypes.
- Quality is essential. That's why our work procedures have been certified since 1995 (DIN EN ISO 9001:2000). Customers profit from this continuous quality assurance of all work stages from development through manufacture to delivery.
- The CE mark on Gerhardt equipment is the visible symbol of first-class quality.
We support our customers so we can learn from them
Our goal is obviously to sell our equipment. However this is not enough for us. It is essential that the customers' equipment routinely produces accurate results and functions without problems. To ensure this, we start with comprehensive consultancy and project planning through to installation, testing, and user training. Our customer service approach offers maximum support if and when things do occasionally go wrong.
Why do we offer this? Well, so that our customers stay with us in the long-term and so that we can continually learn from our customers' experiences. This is the only way to achieve long-lasting success. Our equipment is used all over the world and is exposed to a huge variety of situations and environments. We adapt our equipment so that it continues to function reliably on site wherever it is needed. We are continually learning and developing: what works best? What are the future needs? We are always able to respond.
Our knowledge is unique in our sector, our systems are world-class, and we intend to keep them so. The customer service approach includes:
- individual attention from our specialists and comprehensive information about all aspects of the analytical system relevant to the solution
- providing the optimum equipment configuration from a wide range of product versions
- test analyses in our lab using samples from our customers
- adapting equipment to individual requirements
- access to our comprehensive knowledge from our extensive application database
- installation and commissioning on site by our specialists
- customer training at our laboratory or on site
- inspection, maintenance, and quick response
Not the biggest, but one of the strongest
With our experience from the past and our strength from our current market position, we are on the path to a future full of promise. In our product development department, specialists work on future-proof equipment and new systems. Our management team follows a long-term vision and develops opportunities for new business areas. And we have a loyal workforce.
All this is on a sound personnel and financial footing. Having the right people in place simply makes it easier to be successful. We have confidence in our partners and ensure smooth operation, where necessary, by supplier redundancies. So that you can rely on us. Our staff give of their best every day, thus making a major contribution to the success of C. Gerhardt. And so that it remains that way, it is our ongoing task to motivate them and provide them with appropriate further training. Together as a team we can expand our leading market position and, if necessary, react immediately to changes. That makes us strong.
Engineering meets the environment and art
For us, thinking to the future also means that we get involved in areas that at first do not appear to have anything to do with the company's progress. Such as the environment and nature conservation. Such as art.
Our roots are strong in the Bonn region; it is the scene of our history. The Siebengebirge, Germany's oldest nature conservation area, rises up behind our head office in Königswinter. August Macke, one of the most famous German expressionists, married into the Gerhardt family in 1909. He had his studio in the corner house of the former company premises, which today is the 'August Macke Haus'. His descendants now manage the company.
This legacy has shaped us. We are involved in nature conservation and bird protection. We promote young artists and collaborate on local projects. Because we want to. And in the end this has a positive effect on our company. For the energy and positive effects from these projects are channelled into the company.