Calgon Carbon Corporation UV Technologies Division
Calgon Carbon Corporation’s UV Technologies Division has installed hundreds of systems for treating a broad spectrum of contaminated groundwater, wastewater, process water, and drinking water. In addition to being a leading UV equipment manufacturer and supplier, Calgon Carbon is also the innovator of UV disinfection for drinking water. In 1998, Calgon Carbon’s researchers discovered that low doses of UV light could be used to inactivate Cryptosporidium and other similar pathogens in surface water, rendering them harmless to humans.
Calgon Carbon Corporation is the leader in the activated carbon industry through unmatched innovations in the purification, separation and concentration of liquids, gases and other media. As the activated carbon industry forerunner and with ultraviolet light disinfection and oxidation expertise, Calgon Carbon has originated cutting-edge purification systems for drinking water, wastewater, odor control, pollution abatement, and a variety of industrial and commercial manufacturing processes.
The Company currently offers carbon technologies used in over 700 distinct market applications from purifying air and drinking water, to purifying foods and pharmaceuticals, to separating gas and removing mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants. Calgon Carbon’s cost-effective, environmental remediation/recycle programs combine the proper mix of an effective activated carbon, ingenious adsorption systems and professional field/technical services.
The Mission of Calgon Carbon Corporation is to develop and apply technologies to protect people and the environment from contaminants in water, air, food and industrial processes, while developing and maintaining a highly motivated workforce having a strong commitment to its customers, shareholders, and society.
Calgon Carbon Corporation is a worldwide organization whose business is to meet customers' needs by providing high-quality, cost-effective products and services for purification, separation and concentration in the processing of liquids and gases.
In order to do this, the Company will:
- Maintain worldwide marketing, manufacturing, and technology leadership in the production, use, and recycling of activated carbon.
- Develop or acquire products or services which are complementary to its existing business and organization.
- Continue to develop the technology of its products and services to meet ever-changing customer needs.
- Stress quality and professionalism in all areas of its business — its people, its products and services, and its business conduct.
- Earn income which will support growth of its business and provide an above-average return to its shareholders.
- Expand the applicability of its technology to all appropriate markets, including commercial and consumer markets.
Calgon Carbon Corporation is committed to building and maintaining and organization capable of meeting or exceeding our customers' requirements
Specifically, we will:
- Make products to meet customer needs
- Focus on customer satisfaction
- Promote a safe work environment
- Continuously improve our processes and quality management system
We believe the best way to achieve this is by employing a combination of the principles of the Calgon Carbon Values, process improvement tools, the requirements of the ISO 9001-2008 quality standard and by relying on the strength of our work force.
- Principled ethical behavior at all times
- Admit mistakes, accept responsibility
Respect for Others
- Everyone is important
- Active listening
- Fairness and respect to everyone
- Open communication without fear
- Accurate, prompt, quality response every time
- Active listening and understanding customer needs
- Build relationship
- Deliver value and quality
- Work and live safely
- Hold to commitments
- Do your best
- Take initiative, make a difference
- Confront the facts however difficult
- Set high expectations
Accountability for Results
- Plan well, get it right the first time
- Action plan – execute
- Learn from mistakes - identify root cause of problems and correct
- Do what is right
- Confront problems
- Know the details
- Value your co-workers
- Whole > sum of the parts
- Offer to help
- Recognize success
Pride and Enthusiasm
- CCC is a reflection of each employee
- Everything we do benefits society!
- This is our Company!
When the United States entered World War II, coconut shells were the raw material used to produce granular activated carbon, the filtering agent in military gas masks. Faced with a shortage of this crucial war material, the government asked Pittsburgh Coke and Chemical to develop a substitute from a native material. In 1942, the Company produced an activated carbon product using bituminous coal, and that was the beginning of the firm now known as Calgon Carbon Corporation.
Throughout history, Calgon Carbon has been a pioneer in creating new activated carbon products, systems and services from the infancy stages to the current global industry. The Company currently offers carbon technologies used in over 700 distinct market applications from purifying air and drinking water, to purifying foods and pharmaceuticals, to separating gas and removing mercury emissions from coal-powered electrical facilities. As a leader in the activated carbon industry and with ultraviolet light disinfection and oxidation expertise, Calgon Carbon Corporation has originated cutting-edge purification systems for drinking water, wastewater, odor control, pollution abatement, and a variety of industrial and commercial manufacturing processes.
Over 20 years ago, Calgon Carbon introduced an advanced UV oxidation process to remediate contaminated groundwater. In 1998, we followed that up with the first radical breakthrough in the treatment of drinking water in decades, when our scientists invented a process that could be used to inactivate Cryptosporidium and other similar pathogens in surface water, rendering them harmless to humans. This inventive process placed Calgon Carbon on the leading edge of UV disinfection technology. With the Sentinel® line for drinking water, the C3 Series™ for wastewater, and the Rayox line for groundwater and process water, Calgon Carbon continues to lead the marketplace with innovative UV technologies.
From the use of granular activated carbon (GAC) for taste and odor removal in the early 1960’s, to the development of ultraviolet light technology for pathogen control in the late 1990’s, to the application of ion exchange technology for removing perchlorates starting in 2000, Calgon Carbon continues to be a pioneer in making water safer and cleaner.