Centre for Environment Education (CEE) was established in August 1984 as a Centre of Excellence supported by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. CEE, a national institution with its headquarters in Ahmedabad, has a mandate to promote environmental awareness nationwide. CEE is affiliated to the Nehru Foundation for Development and inherits the rich multi- disciplinary resource base and varied experience of Nehru Foundation for Development. CEE is committed to ensuring that due recognition is given to the role of EE in the promotion of sustainable development. CEE develops innovative programmes and educational material, and builds capacity in the field of education and communication for sustainable development. CEE develops innovative programmes and educational material, and builds capacity in the field of education and communication for sustainable development.
- Business Type:
- Training provider
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
- Year Founded:
Centre for Environment Education (CEE) is a national institution engaged in developing programmes and material to increase awareness about the environment and sustainable development. CEE was established in 1984 as a Centre of Excellence in Environmental Education, supported by the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Government of India. It is affiliated to the Nehru Foundation for Development.
CEE's primary objective is to improve public awareness and understanding of the environment with a view to promote the conservation of nature and sustainable use of the natural resources, leading to a better environment and a better quality of life. To this end, CEE develops innovative programmes and educational material, and builds capacity in the field of education for sustainable development (ESD). To test the validity and effectiveness of its programmes and material, CEE undertakes demonstration projects in education, communication and development that endorse attitudes, strategies and technologies which are environmentally sustainable.
Since its inception, CEE's activities and programmes have been rooted in, and guided by, certain strategies for maximisation of quality, effectiveness and impact:
- Maximising the horizon of EE with state-of-the-art thinking, developments, innovations and perspectives in the areas of Environment and Sustainble Development.
- Adaptability to different geographic, cultural, social and economic contexts.
- Partnerships utilising complementary strengths of other organisations to avoid duplication of effort, and to network effectively for synergistic convergence of ideas and goals. CEE tries to ensure that its programmes do not re-invent the wheel.
- Developing programmes and materials to build on existing strategic opportunities and facilities for EE.
- Encouraging and supporting other agencies in the field of EE and ESD to develop similar materials and programmes based on their specific needs and situations.
- Building synergies between Government, NGOs and CEE for comprehensive impact.
- Identifying key entry points for different thrust areas, and key targets for initiating and consolidating gains, to achieve a multiplier effect.
- Facilitating networks at local, national and regional levels, through a number of tools such as dialogues, directories, newsletters, etc.