Centre for Process Innovation (CPI)
The Centre for Process Innovation is a UK-based technology innovation centre and part of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult. We use applied knowledge in science and engineering combined with state of the art facilities to enable our clients to develop, prove, prototype and scale up the next generation of products and processes.Our open innovation model enables clients to develop products and prove processes with minimal risk. We provide assets and expertise so our customers can demonstrate the process and prove it is feasible before investing substantial amounts of money in capital equipment and training. New products and processes can be proven; on paper, in the lab and in the plant before being manufactured at an industrial scale.
The Centre for Process Innovation is a UK-based technology innovation centre and part of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult. We use applied knowledge in science and engineering combined with state of the art facilities to enable our clients to develop, prove, prototype and scale up the next generation of products and processes.
Our open innovation model enables clients to develop products and prove processes with minimal risk. We provide assets and expertise so our customers can demonstrate the process and prove it is feasible before investing substantial amounts of money in capital equipment and training. New products and processes can be proven; on paper, in the lab and in the plant before being manufactured at an industrial scale.
By utilising our proven assets and expertise companies can take their products and processes to market faster. There is no down time in production as all of the process development is completed offsite and our technology transfer teams can help to transfer the product or process into full scale production.
Better Products, Faster
We help our clients to produce better products with increased quality and performance. We can create processes with higher yields and reduced manufacturing time with faster conversion of raw materials or feedstock to
Low Cost, Low Carbon Manufacturing
We enable companies to decrease capital and manufacturing costs by facilitating batch to continuous processes, increased automation and reduced manufacturing time. We help reduce and reuse wastes, utilise natural materials and decrease reliance on fossil fuels
What we offer
- Product and process development
- Prototyping, demonstration and
- scale up
- Fabrication and pilot production
- Fuel, feedstock and materials investigation
- Manufacturability and process assessment
- Process modeling and consultancy
- Business and funding support
- Incubator space
Our curiosity about the world around us is at the heart of our approach. It not only enables us to understand markets, but also gives us foresight of how science can help society. We develop innovative applications for both new and existing technologies, harnessing those that are best suited to commercial applications. We also understand how technology leadership can aid sustainability – in a world where resources are under constant pressure, we know how to do more with less.
We desire an influential role at the hub of true partnerships that bind us closely to our clients and our supply and research networks. Our ability to bring different perspectives to bear transforms every project into a challenging, shared exploration that delivers successful outcomes and startling benefits. Within the organisation, we collaborate closely in everything we do.
Our role goes far beyond simply understanding technology – we’re also experts in incubating successful technology businesses. We’re highly practical, drawing on our knowledge of innovation and its potential markets to create commercial applications that bring benefits to society and prosperity to our region. Turning innovation into wealth is our reason for being.
We’re making a profession of innovation. We’re reliable, trustworthy and committed, and we always deliver on our promises. We’re passionate about science and engineering, but we never let our enthusiasm cloud our judgement about the intellectual property of our clients. We are very clear about who owns what, and we can be trusted completely not to disclose or misuse confidential information.
We have great people and we strive to help them achieve their full potential. We do this by minimising unnecessary bureaucracy and management hierarchies, by playing to people’s strengths, and by allowing our teams to follow their own initiative and instincts. We’re active in everything we do and we our passion energizes those around us. Because we believe that inspired people make the greatest progress, we empower our colleagues to drive our success.
Safety Health & Environment
SHE is at the start, middle and end of everything we do – nothing is done without us satisfying ourselves that we have done all that is reasonably in our power to protect people and our surroundings.
We help our clients test and develop ideas that are targeted on commercial deployment. This means partners can:
- Be early to market. Use CPI’s facilities and expertise to fast-track ideas into full-scale production.
- See all the possibilities. Test ideas in a systematic and rigorous way that informs process development and business models.
- Draw on practical experience. Take advice from CPI’s teams of experts who have practical commercial and industry experience. This means solutions can be implemented commercially.
- Reduce risk. Partners can test and refine technology using the wide range of open access facilities. This allows the best routes to be identified before making significant investment in plant and equipment.
- Reduce cost. Engage expert help with designing processes, helping clients reduce cost by suggesting alternative methods and materials.
- Prove it. Have practical robust operational and persuasive evidence to reassure investors and stakeholders.
- Work with the supply chain. Engage at any point in product supply chain or lifecycle – from refining established processes to introducing new process concepts, feedstocks or manufacturing systems.
- Anticipate the future. Test ideas using state of the art open access equipment; helping clients understand what plant and equipment will be most appropriate. Use the experience CPI team and our partners in the High Value Manufacturing Catapult to identify the latest technological trends and how to develop responses.
CPI understands that embarking on a process development or supply chain change can be a significant commitment and we only progress projects where there is a real possibility of technical and economic success. This increases the chance of success in complex technical areas, leads to higher yields and lower costs by reducing capital investment and increasing revenue.