Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
Formed in 1925 as the Incorporated Association of Architects and Surveyors, the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) is a leading body for professionals specialising in the design, construction, evaluation and maintenance of buildings. Its members practise across the United Kingdom, mainland Europe and around the World, and work in both the private and public sectors. The CABE provides the prime qualification of Building Engineer, a title that exactly reflects the professional expertise of members.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Professional association
- Industry Type:
- Construction & Construction Materials
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
Welcome to the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE).
Formed in 1925, as the Incorporated Association of Architects and Surveyors, the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) is a leading body for professionals specialising in the design, construction, evaluation and maintenance of building construction. CABE is an internationally recognised association with members practising across the United Kingdom, mainland Europe and around the World, and work in both the private and public sectors.
The CABE provides the prime qualification of Building Engineer, a title that exactly reflects the professional expertise of members. We have various grades of membership ranging from Student to Fellow. Visit our website for information on becoming a member.
See how you can become a Chartered Building Engineer
If you are concerned about the environment which we create and are interested in technology and design, you may wish to consider becoming a Chartered Building Engineer. Chartered Building Engineers are professionals working in the built environment. They deal with innovation and the technology of construction, specialising in a number of areas including architecture, building control, surveying, facilities management and fire engineering.
The Association was founded with the principal objectives to:
- promote and advance the knowledge, study and practice of each and all of the arts and sciences concerned with building technology, planning, design, construction, maintenance and repair of the built environment and the creation and maintenance of a high standard of professional qualification, conduct and practice.
- encourage and facilitate co-operation between the construction professions.
The Association was granted its Royal Charter in 2013.
Looking to the future - today and beyond
We all know that times ahead are set to be challenging, however the CABE Board has reviewed its strategy and has set out a plan which the Association will follow and develop over the coming years.
The Association aims to:
- develop the Association, both in terms of standing within the industry, and the range of expertise, professionalism and qualification of an expanding membership body
- raise the profile of CABE within the UK and overseas and ensure that members are recognised as having a qualification which is meaningful and appropriate
- improve the recognition and status of both the Association and its members
- increase the number of members both within the UK and overseas and support an evolving and expanding skills base within the membership
The Title of Chartered Building Engineer
The description of Chartered Building Engineer was granted to the Chartered Association of Building Engineers in 2013. A Royal Charter is granted under the Royal Prerogative and is therefore effectively the equivalent of an Act of Parliament in its legal effect.
Therefore the granting of the post nominal C.Build E is exclusively within the power of the Chartered Association of Building Engineers.
Furthermore, the Chartered Association of Building Engineers has the right through legal action to prohibit any other organisation from awarding the title and any person from using the title unless authorised to do so by the Chartered Association of Building Engineers which sets and promotes high standards of competency and conduct.
As the professional body for Building Engineers, ABE endeavours to:
- assist members in their lifelong development, ensuring that they achieve their full potential
- act as a respected voice for Building Engineers and the public, working with Governments, Academic Bodies and other professions to influence policy and set technical and ethical standards
- enhance the reputation and understanding of the building engineering profession
- To be recognised and respected globally as the professional body for Building Engineers
- To be renowned for maintaining the highest possible standards and making a valuable contribution to society at a local, national and global level
- To be the body of choice for forward-thinking individuals and organisations
We are committed to the following values in everything we do:
- To strive to be professional, ethical, respectful and accountable
- To provide quality services that are sustainable
- To meet the needs of all Building Engineers, regardless of their specialism
- To engage with others, build partnerships and promote teamwork
- To promote our own standards to others
- To work for the benefit of our members
Developing Professionals, Sharing Knowledge, Raising Standards