Copernicus was founded as the non-profit society Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V. by directors and scientists of the Max Planck Institute for Aeronomy in February 1988 (today MPI for Solar System Research). According to the club rules the Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V. aims to promote the international collaboration in the geo and space sciences. When the business part of Copernicus, the Copernicus GmbH (similar to Ltd.), was founded in 2001 to carry on the conference and publishing business the Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V. became the exclusive partner. This construct guarantees that the surpluses of Copernicus` projects will be used to further promote the sciences.
In 2013, the Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V. celebrates its 25th anniversary! In honour of this occasion we will present for the first time the Copernicus Medal. This award recognizes ingenious, innovative work in the geosciences and planetary and space sciences, and in their exceptional promotion and international cooperation, in particular of colleagues being still in the midst of their scientific career.
Copernicus.org aims to promote the Sciences by
- Organizing meetings, conferences and exhibitions;
- Publishing peer-reviewed journals, in particular open access;
- Supporting associations and organizations in the fulfilment of their tasks and in their relation amongst each other;
- Archiving data and information for public usage;
- Assisting in outreach activities regarding media and education;
- Developing appropriate software solutions for achieving these aims.
Promoting scientific work is our focus. Serving those dedicated to science is our passion!
- 2012 – OA Publication Charge Agreements with the Helmholtz Association
- 2012 – Member of ORCID and Partner of OpenAIRE
- 2012 – Start of language copy-editing as a standard service
- 2012 – Start of the first Copernicus conference app for mobile devices
- 2011 – Certified Member of IAPCO
- 2009 – Move to Göttingen
- 2008 – Start of the Copernicus Office online system
- 2008 – Founding Member of OASPA
- 2008 – OA Publication Charge Agreements with Max Planck Society in Germany and CNRS INSU in France
- 2006 – Author Copyright and Creative Commons Licence
- 2004 – All journals are Open Access
- 2003 – First conference over 10,000 participants
- 2001 – Start of the Interactive Open Access Publishing with public peer-review and discussion
- 2001 – First Open Access journal
- 2001 – Formation of the Copernicus Gesellschaft mbH
- 1994 – Start of the publishing activities
- 1988 – Start of the congress organizing activities as well as back-office services
- 1988 – Formation of the Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V. by scientists and directors of the MPI for Aeronomy (MPAE)
Copernicus Gesellschaft mbH
- Business segments: Professional Congress Organizer (Copernicus Meetings) and Open Access Publisher (Copernicus Publications)
- Registered as: limited liability corporation (GmbH)
- Registered at: county court Göttingen under HRB 131 298 on 15 August 2001
- Exclusive Partner: Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V.
- Financial Status: not-for-profit corporation
Copernicus Gesellschaft e.V.
- Exclusive partner of the Copernicus Gesellschaft mbH
- Until 2001 congress organizing and publishing
- Founder of the Copernicus Foundation
- Registered as: incorporated society (eingetragener Verein - e.V.)
- Registered at: county court Göttingen under VR 130 337 on 26 February 1988
- Financial Status: non-profit society (gemeinnütziger Verein)