Cranfield University is recognised internationally for its work in relation to the environment. The School of Energy, Environment and Agrifood offers an number of Postgraduate and short courses within these themes. Energy: For over 30 years we have changed the lives of oil and gas, conventional and renewable energy professionals across the globe, from the North Sea and Europe to the Americas, Africa and the Middle East. Environmental Technology: Contributing to the green economy for over 40 years, we have been providing postgraduate education and transformational research for key partners from industry and government. We are leaders in environmental technologies, services, design and decisions. Agrifood: Our internationally recognised expertise spans the entire agrifood supply chain; delivering world-leading research and education for over 40 years; ensuring a sustainable, safe, secure and nutritious food supply for a growing global population.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Environmental Management
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- Over 1000
- 10,000,000 - 100,000,000 €
As the UK’s only exclusively postgraduate university, Cranfield’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in technology and management globally.
We are creating leaders in technology and management, unlocking the potential of people and organisations by partnering with business and governments to deliver transformational research, postgraduate education and professional development.
Creating leaders in technology and management
Cranfield's distinctive expertise is in our deep understanding of technology and management and how these work together to benefit the world.
Our education portfolio is renowned for its relevance to business and industry. We are the largest UK provider of master's-level graduates in engineering and offer a flagship MBA, extensive world-class customised executive education and professional development programmes. Our work informs government policy and leads the way in producing cutting edge new technologies and products in partnership with industry.
The research and consultancy we carry out for industry, government and business provides our students with a real-world learning environment, allowing them to develop as professionals and then transfer their knowledge to the global economy. This has always been the 'Cranfield way' but it has never been more important than in today's world.
Cranfield Facts and Figures
We are proud of our achievements – and especially those of our graduates. Some notable facts about Cranfield:
- In June 2020, 54% of our students were from the UK, 16% from EU countries and 30% from the rest of the world.
- There is one member of academic staff to every fivebstudents, one of the best ratios for any university in the UK.
- Over half of all aerospace engineering master's students in the UK study at Cranfield each year.
- Over half of our students are over 30 years of age.
- In a typical year, our academics deliver courses in over 40 countries outside the UK.
- More than half of our students and learners study part-time.
- Over 7,000 people come to Cranfield each year to benefit from our executive and professional development programmes.
- We have over 20 international alumni communities across the world, including China, India, Russia, Switzerland and Brazil.
- We are ranked in the top ten in the UK for commercial research, consultancy and professional development.
- According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, 81% of our research is classed as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- In the English higher education sector, Cranfield University had the highest average contract research income with business per full-time equivalent academic (2015-2018).
At Cranfield School of Management:
- Cranfield School of Management’s Management MSc was ranked third in the UK and 30th in the world in the Economist Which? MBA Masters in Management (MiM) 2019. It was also ranked first in the UK and ninth in the world for percentage of job-seeking graduates with a job offer three months after graduation.
- We are ranked third in the UK and tenth in the world (outside the US) in Forbes’ ranking of The Best International MBAs: One-Year Programs 2017.
- In the Financial Times Executive Education rankings, Cranfield School of Management is consistently ranked among the top 20 business schools in Europe and one of the top 10 in the UK for both its open and customised executive development programmes. We are in the top 10 in the world for the international reach of our customised programmes.
- The School is one of an elite group worldwide to hold the triple accreditation of: AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) and AMBA (the Association of MBAs).
Cranfield is a six-time winner of the prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize.
History and Heritage
Cranfield is a postgraduate university, specialising in technology and management.
The theme running through Cranfield’s history is a commitment to and passion for applied research which makes a difference to the world in the fields of science, technology and management.
The forerunner of Cranfield University was the College of Aeronautics, created in 1946 and based at the RAF station in Cranfield, Bedfordshire. Through the 1950s and 1960s, the development of many aspects of aircraft research and design led to considerable growth and diversification into other areas such as manufacturing and management.
In 1967, the School of Management was founded, so 2017 marks our 50th anniversary.
In 1969, the College of Aeronautics became The Cranfield Institute of Technology incorporated by Royal Charter with full degree-awarding powers.
More recently, there has been further substantial progress, including an academic partnership with the Defence Academy, UK, at Shrivenham in Wiltshire.