Cranfield University is recognised internationally for its work in relation to the environment. The School of Energy, Environment and Agrifood offers an number of Postgraduate and short courses within these themes. Energy: For over 30 years we have changed the lives of oil and gas, conventional and renewable energy professionals across the globe, from the North Sea and Europe to the Americas, Africa and the Middle East. Environmental Technology: Contributing to the green economy for over 40 years, we have been providing postgraduate education and transformational research for key partners from industry and government. We are leaders in environmental technologies, services, design and decisions. Agrifood: Our internationally recognised expertise spans the entire agrifood supply chain; delivering world-leading research and education for over 40 years; ensuring a sustainable, safe, secure and nutritious food supply for a growing global population.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Environmental Management
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- Over 1000
- 10,000,000 - 100,000,000 €
As the UK’s only exclusively postgraduate university, Cranfield’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in technology and management globally.
We are creating leaders in technology and management, unlocking the potential of people and organisations by partnering with business and governments to deliver transformational research, postgraduate education and professional development.
Creating leaders in technology and management
Cranfield's distinctive expertise is in our deep understanding of technology and management and how these work together to benefit the world.
Our education portfolio is renowned for its relevance to business and industry. We are the largest UK provider of master's-level graduates in engineering and offer a flagship MBA, extensive world-class customised executive education and professional development programmes. Our work informs government policy and leads the way in producing cutting edge new technologies and products in partnership with industry.
The research and consultancy we carry out for industry, government and business provides our students with a real-world learning environment, allowing them to develop as professionals and then transfer their knowledge to the global economy. This has always been the 'Cranfield way' but it has never been more important than in today's world.
We are proud of our achievements – and especially those of our graduates. Some notable facts about Cranfield:
- In 2015/16, 49% of our students were from the UK, 25% from Europe and 26% from the rest of the world
- Our student/staff ratio is 5:1
- We are in the top 1% of institutions in the world for alumni who hold CEO positions at the world's top companies, Centre for World University Rankings, 2017
- 75% of the UK’s postgraduate aerospace engineers graduate from Cranfield
- More than half our students are over 30 years of age
- We are the only University to have two women listed in The Telegraph's Top 50 Women in Engineering under the age of 35 list
- In a typical year, our academics deliver courses in 50 countries outside the UK
- Almost half of our students study while in employment
- We deliver executive development to 15,000 people every year
- We have one of the most influential alumni networks of any university in the world, with over 30 active alumni groups, including in Australia, Japan, India, Switzerland and Russia.
Cranfield is one of the UK’s top five commercial research-intensive universities, alongside Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and University College London. The Research Excellence Framework 2014 (REF) has assessed that 81% of the research at Cranfield is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
At Cranfield School of Management:
- Our MBA is ranked No 1 for Economics
- No 9 in the world for the value for money
Our Business Growth Programme typically produces 19% post-programme growth for entrepreneurial owner-managers. The School is one of an elite group worldwide to hold the triple accreditation of:
- AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System)
- AMBA (the Association of MBAs).
Recognition for Cranfield University
Among many awards, we have received the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize in Further and Higher Education on five occasions:
- 2017 for research and education in large-scale soil and environmental data for the sustainable use of natural resources
- 2015 for education and research on water and sanitation for developing countries
- 2011 for our world-leading work in aviation safety through research and training in air accident investigation
- 2007 for our role in humanitarian demining
- 2005 for our Fellowship in Manufacturing Management.
Cranfield is a postgraduate university, specialising in technology and management.
The theme running through Cranfield’s history is a commitment to and passion for applied research which makes a difference to the world in the fields of science, technology and management.
The forerunner of Cranfield University was the College of Aeronautics, created in 1946 and based at the RAF station in Cranfield, Bedfordshire. Through the 1950s and 1960s, the development of many aspects of aircraft research and design led to considerable growth and diversification into other areas such as manufacturing and management.
In 1967, the School of Management was founded, so 2017 marks our 50th anniversary.
In 1969, the College of Aeronautics became The Cranfield Institute of Technology incorporated by Royal Charter with full degree-awarding powers.
More recently, there has been further substantial progress, including an academic partnership with the Defence Academy, UK, at Shrivenham in Wiltshire.