The environmental companies of Ecoterres Holding are specialist international environmental contractors that focus on complex and multidisciplinary soil and groundwater remediation projects.DEC also is an international environmental contractors with more than twenty years experience. DEC is specialised in soil and groundwater remediation, sediment treatment, hydraulic engineering, recycling techniques, landfill techniques, environmental dredging and the redevelopment of brownfields. DEME operates a modern and multi-functional fleet of 90 large dredgers and some 200 auxiliary vessels. The company employs 4,200 people. The Group is active worldwide – in 2011 it reported a turnover of EUR 1.766 billion and was active in more than 50 countries on all continents. Its current investment programme in high-tech equipment will enable DEME to meet future challenges with an ultra-efficient and very modern fleet.
- Business Type:
- Engineering service provider
- Industry Type:
- Soil and Groundwater
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- 10,000,000 - 100,000,000 €
Shaping the planet and facilitating economic prosperity for almost 170 years
Although DEME was officially established in April 1991, its roots date back well into the 19th century. DEME has metamorphosed over the last decades: the small dredging company that was active along the Belgian coast in 1875 now employs more than 4,300 people and has projects across the globe.
Originally, Baggerwerken Decloedt (as DEME's earliest predecessor was called) was exclusively involved in maintenance and capital dredging along the Belgian coast. A century later, in September 1974, the well-known Dredging International was created following a merger between two dredging companies: Ackermans & van Haaren and Société Générale de Dragage (SGD). Ackermans & van Haaren was established in 1852; Société Générale de Dragage had been incorporated in 1930.
DEME itself was established as a holding company of two leading Belgian dredging contractors: Dredging International and Baggerwerken Decloedt. Both Dredging International and Baggerwerken Decloedt have been instrumental in the construction of the main Belgian ports and the deepening and maintenance of their navigation channels in the North Sea and the River Scheldt. DEME is thus firmly rooted in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium. The region's unique location at the crossroads of Europe has led to great prosperity over the centuries. To facilitate economic growth in this low-lying land, a thorough understanding of hydraulic engineering and water management was crucial and this is still the case today. DEME’s vast body of expertise and experience has been deployed for dyke construction, flood defence work, port construction and for improving maritime access worldwide, spanning three centuries.
DEME’s vision is to create land for a sustainable future. We care a great deal about the health, safety and security of our people and assets, the wellbeing of all those contributing to or affected by our operations, and the environments in which we operate. In line with our ambition, the Group is committed to conducting its business with the highest personal and professional, ethical and moral standards in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
DEME Group has established a set of standards applicable to its business units and subsidiaries worldwide. We also expect our suppliers, subcontractors and partners to work to these standards. The core values at the very foundation of DEME are summarised by the acronym STRIVE.
- Safety: the personal safety and health of employees and stakeholders is our greatest responsibility.
- Technical leadership: With an open mind and the right team spirit, we continue to improve in all aspects of our work process and find trail-blazing solutions to the needs and challenges of our customers.
- Respect: Our employees are trained and motivated to meet the challenges ahead. Individuality and diversity will be valued and performance is recognised. We provide our customers with unsurpassed value-added service. Our relationship with suppliers reflects respect, understanding and sound business practice. We observe all applicable laws and regulations of the countries in which we are active. We respect human rights and prohibit unlawful discrimination.
- Integrity: We conduct our activities according to the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
- Value creation: We make result driven decisions in order to ensure long-term growth for the benefit of employees, customers and shareholders, including financial discipline to keep the company healthy.
- Environment: We protect the environment and avoid adverse impact to the environment and the communities in which we do business.