Diversified Plastics is led by Rod’s son Brad Reid, and an experienced team of manufacturing professionals. We employ more than 60 people; offer urethane casting, thermoforming, machining and injection molding; provide complete design, engineering and tool and die services; and deliver tens of thousands of parts a year domesticly and abroad for use in a wide range of industries. Diversified Plastics, Inc. is a family business started by Rod Reid in his garage in 1976. The company began as a supplier of engineered plastic wear strips for lumber and pulp mills in the area around Missoula, Montana. From those humble beginnings, Diversified Plastics has grown to become a North American leader in plastics engineering and fabrication.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Manufacturing, Other
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
At its heart though, the company is still much the same as the one founded in Rod’s garage. Our people are as friendly and helpful as they are knowledgeable. We stand behind the products we manufacture. We are innovative in how we use processes. We believe the only way to excel is to continuously improve. We genuinely work with clients to solve the challenge at hand.
When you choose Diversified Plastics — whether it’s for a single part, a small run or a multi-year contract — you’ll get the same attention to detail, the same problem-solving approach, the same quality solution. That’s the Diversified Plastics promise. Always has been. Always will be.
We understand the impact the plastics industry has on the environment - petroleum use, shipping costs, the energy to fabricate, nonorganic waste and more. Over the past several years, we’ve made a commitment to reduce those impacts. Partly because it’s the right thing to do for the planet, but also because it makes economic sense. Our commitment to a green approach reduces our costs and enables us to deliver incredible value to our clients.
- Our commitment begins with in-house recycling. We regrind and reuse all of our own post-industrial bulk scrap plastic as well as some post-consumer scrap plastic. All of the thermoplastic materials leftover from setup parts, end cuts, purges and non-conforming parts are collected and ground up in-house or sent out for high-volume grinding, then returned for 100 percent reuse. When a typical day generates more than 500 pounds of scrap plastic, this is a big deal to us and to our environment.
- Whenever possible we purchase recycled resins and sheets from our suppliers. Even when using these reclaimed materials, all of the resins, sheet stock and components are tracked and traceable to the materials’ regrind lot numbers, just as with virgin materials - so if any issue ever arises, all ISO procedures are followed, traceable and reliable.
- We employ multiple fabrication processes which can help us reduce material waste. We even combine processes and materials to suit the specification or challenge at hand, while efficiently using materials.
- We continually assess our operation and look for ways - through lighting, energy efficient machinery and shipping - to reduce energy use and our carbon footprint.
- At Diversified Plastics We see ourselves not as a manufacturer, but as an innovator that continually looks for ways to improve the life of a product and reduce procurement and maintenance costs. And we strive to do all of this in a way that not only improves our client’s work today but our environment tomorrow.
At Diversified Plastics, we work closely with clients in a wide range of industries. We use a variety of polymers. We employ multiple fabrication processes - machining, urethane casting, vacuum forming and injection molding. We offer comprehensive drafting and testing services. But what sets Diversified Plastics apart more than anything is how we use our capabilities to solve a customer's unique challenges.
To offer our customers a cost-effective alternative, we developed a unique way of injection molding UHMW Virgin and Regrind materials that sets us apart worldwide.
- To create better wearing, less expensive sprockets, we developed MultiFab Technology, a process that combines materials with different strength and wear characteristics.
- To reduce wear on sprockets and chains, we devised and patented chain tensioners that are remarkably easy to install and remove.
- To hit tight schedules, we’ve painstakingly developed comprehensive project management protocols, perfecting them over the past 30 years.
- To ensure quality throughout an entire run, we employ our ISO Equivalent standards and our Continual Improvement Process to test, review and modify during manufacturing.
Our expertise has served dozens of industries and delivered thousands upon thousands of parts - from tight-tolerance sprockets for international leaders in wastewater to handsome tap handles for a local Montana brewery.
Our range of capabilities and depth of experience enables us to overcome production issues other companies cannot. We’re able to choose the right process and material - even combine processes and materials - to suit the specification or challenge at hand.
We see ourselves not as a manufacturer, but as an innovator that continually looks for ways to improve the life of a product and reduce procurement and maintenance costs.
Distributors play a key role serving end users, nationwide and worldwide. They are literally on the front lines — answering questions, guiding client specifications, ensuring end customers get the right part for their needs.
At Diversified Plastics, we work to support distributors in a variety of ways.
- We are always available to answer questions, resolve specification concerns, explain installation or handle warranty issues.
- We employ manufacturers’ representatives in many areas of the country to make frequent visits and provide on-site education for distributor sales staff.
- Members of our own sales staff frequently go into the field to lead seminars on applications and products for distributors and their customers.
Most importantly, Diversified Plastics makes excellent products, protects them with a solid warranty and sells them at prices that allow for a solid distributor margin. You can be sure that when you recommend Diversified Plastics, you’re recommending a part your customer will be happy with, and one that will make you money.