EA Technology Limited
EA Technology is an employee-owned company offering high tech instruments, software, electrical services and technical consultancy to the operators of power networks around the world. We are located in Capenhurst in the North West of England, having been established in the mid 1960s as the UK Electricity Industry’s Research Centre. We were set up then to specialise in the distribution and use of electricity, and have never lost this focus despite a number of organizational changes. As an employee-owned company, our strategic objectives are based on long term, sustainable growth that delivers real value to its shareholders and the wider society. EA Technology has provided leading edge power asset management solutions for over 40 years. We offer a range of consultancy, services and products to assist in the management of electricity networks.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
EA Technology originated in 1966 as the UK Electricity Council’s Research and Development Centre, which pioneered many of the innovations that have enabled the development of modern power systems worldwide.
We restructured as an independent commercial enterprise in 1990 and became 100% owned by our staff in 2004.
Since 2004, our strategy of innovation, investment and international development has enabled us to:
- Create market-leading new products and services
- Expanded our network of international offices and distributors
- With customers in 90 countries
EA Technology timeline
Many of the innovations that EA Technology has pioneered since 1966 have formed the foundation of the modern electricity industry, making networks more efficient, reliable and safer, helping consumers in their everyday lives and working to protect the planet for future generations.
State-Owned Industry R&D body (1966-1990)
EA Technology’s origin was as the Electricity Council Research Centre (ECRC), set up in 1966 as part of the UK’s then state-owned electricity system. Effectively a grant funded entity, ECRC’s role was to investigate new ways for people to use electricity and better ways for it to be distributed to customers.
Key events in this period include:
- 1969: ECRC invents Feolite for storage radiators
- 1972: EC and Chloride joint company to develop ECRC sodium sulphur battery
- 1974: Halogen hob invented
- 1980: Developed high temperature heat pump for drying timber and distilling whisky
- 1983: Identification techniques for Transient Earth Voltage (TEV) developed
- 1985: Lightning location system invented
- 1990: Privatisation of the UK electricity industry - new company name established
When the UK electricity was privatised in 1990, EA Technology ‘spun out’ of national ownership to become an independent organisation. The funding from the network operators and energy suppliers was progressively ramped-down, and EA Technology made the transition to a commercial entity.
Key events in this period include:
- 1991: Became EA Technology (part of Electricity Association)
- 1993: EA Technology privatised, owned principally by the directors of the company
EA Technology (2004 – present)In 2004 EA Technology shares were re-distributed and we re-launched as an employee-owned organisation, focusing on sustainable, long-term, growth.
Key events to date include:
- 2004: Company restructured to spread ownership of shares among staff
- 2004: Launched first UltraTEV product
- 2004: Launched first version of Condition Based Risk Management (CBRM)
- 2007: Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation 2007 - Britain's top industrial honour - awarded for the groundbreaking UltraTEV Detector™
- 2008: Opened office in Shanghai, serving China
- 2008: Opened office in Abu Dhabi, serving Middle East
- 2009: Opened subsidiary in Brisbane, serving Australia and New Zealand
- 2010: Acquired USA subsidiary
- 2011: Opened subsidiary in Singapore, serving South East Asia
- 2011: Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation 2011 'for continuous innovation over five years', covering the development and success of EA Technology's whole family of UltraTEV products
- 2013: Launched important new products – PD Hawk™ and CableData Collector™
- 2014: Markets expand to customers in 90 countries
EA Technology is a specialist in asset management solutions for owners and operators of electrical assets. Headquartered in the UK, our operations and customers are global.
We originated in 1966 as a groundbreaking research and development organisation serving the electricity industry.
We are totally committed to providing our customers with innovative products and services, which deliver tangible benefits for their businesses.