With over 17,000 staff in around 200 laboratories across 36 countries, Eurofins Scientific is the world leader in food and biopharma product testing. It is also number one in the world in the field of environmental laboratory services and one of the global market leaders in agroscience, genomics, pharma discovery services and central laboratory services.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Monitoring and Testing - Analytical Services
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Over 1000
- more than 1,000,000,000 €
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group is the world leader in food and pharmaceutical products testing. It is also number one in the world in the field of environmental laboratory services and discovery pharmacology, and one of the global market leaders in agroscience, genomics and central laboratory services.
Today the Eurofins Group is a leading provider of analytical services with:
- an international network of over 170 laboratories across 35 countries in Europe, the USA, Asia and South America
- over 13,000 staff
- a portfolio of over 100,000 reliable and validated analytical methods
- more than 80 million assays performed each year to establish the safety, identity, composition, authenticity, origin, traceability, and purity of biological substances and products.
Eurofins is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe. Since its IPO on the French stock exchange in 1997, Eurofins' sales have increased by over 40% each year (in compound average) to EUR 1.04 billion in 2012.
Between the Initial Public Offering on 24 October 1997 and 31 December 2012, Eurofins' share price has multiplied by 66x, an annual average increase of 32% (against 3% for the SBF 120, 2% for the CAC 40 and 3% for the Nasdaq over the same period).
In 2012, Eurofins exceeded by almost 5% its EUR 1 billion revenue objective a full year ahead of schedule. The early achievement of this objective reflects the benefits of both past and ongoing investments to ensure the most comprehensive portfolio of analytical methods and the most robust, state-of-the-art laboratory network that allows the Group to provide the best analytical service to the markets it serves in the most efficient manner. Having consistently invested more than any of its peers in the testing industry, Eurofins boasts a very modern, streamlined network of laboratories uniquely capable of providing high quality analyses at a reasonable cost.
In the 25 years since its foundation, Eurofins has embarked on two intense investment phases. The first cycle (2000-2004) saw Eurofins expand its technological portfolio and secure market leadership in Europe; the second cycle (2006-2010) expanded the Group's geographical footprint and established the Group as the global reference in laboratory testing of food, the environment and pharmaceutical products. Investments in start ups in 15 new countries, along with focused acquisitions, have substantially increased the range of Eurofins' offerings in its customers' key markets around the world. Overall, the laboratories started up by Eurofins in the last six years in new markets such as India, China, Brazil, Singapore and Eastern Europe provide an increasingly important growth engine for the Group.
Over the years, Eurofins has developed many new analytical testing methods and has participated in, or led several R&D projects to find better ways to analyse food, the environment and pharmaceuticals. Drawing on its world-class Competence Centres and its expertise, Eurofins is driving growth from its market-leading portfolio of tests, outsourcing agreements and through cross-selling opportunities across its world-wide laboratory network.
Eurofins is committed to supporting its clients' objectives of ensuring that their products reach the best possible quality and safety levels in all markets in which they operate. The Group intends to continue to develop and acquire the most comprehensive range of state-of-the-art analytical technologies as well as expand its geographical reach in order to support its clients' increasingly stringent quality and safety standards and the expanding demands of regulatory authorities around the world.
Eurofins has set an objective of doubling in size over the next five years to reach EUR 2bn in revenues by 2017. Over this period, Eurofins plans to spend about EUR 500m in the most modern laboratory network, analytical technology and IT systems to offer its clients an ever expanding unmatched range of innovative, reliable and cost-effective testing services.
- (our long-term aspiration)
- To be the World Leader in the Bioanalytical Testing Market.
- (why we are here - the cause / purpose of our business)
- To contribute to global health and safety by providing our customers with high quality laboratory and advisory services whilst creating opportunities for our employees and generating sustainable shareholder value.
- (what we stand for / what is important for us)
- Delivering customer satisfaction by listening to and exceeding customer expectations
- Adding value for our customers through our services
- Seeking innovative solutions to help our customers achieve their goals
- Delivering quality in all our work; providing accurate results on time
- Using the best appropriate technology and methods
- Seeking to improve or change our processes for the better
Competence & team spirit
- Employing a team of talented and competent staff
- Investing in training and creating good career opportunities
- Recognising and encouraging outstanding performance
- Behaving ethically in all our business and financial activities
- Demonstrating respect towards our customers and our staff
- Operating responsible environmental policies
At Eurofins, we are committed to the highest ethical standards in conducting our business and to operating in a socially responsible manner. The thrust of our business is in helping all our clients ensure the safety of their products and services which in turn benefit consumers' access to even healthier food products, more innovative pharmaceutical products and a clean environment. A strong reputation for quality is therefore core to the success of our business, and integrity in how we conduct business and maintain our relationship with all our stakeholders is central to our corporate principles. Our vision, mission and values underscore our commitment to professional and ethical behaviour, whilst staying at the frontiers of growth and innovation.
By their very nature, our testing activities allow us to play a direct role in contributing to the health and safety of all, and in building a sustainable future for our environment. Furthermore, within the company, we are ever mindful of the impact of our activities on the environment.
Beyond this, at the core of our mission, Eurofins takes its responsibilities towards all its stakeholders, including its employees, seriously. The Company endeavours to treat all its employees fairly and with respect, and conducts recruitment transparently based on skills and competence.
Eurofins believes that the key to securing and maintaining leadership in its fields is constant innovation. Its scientists and technicians regularly engage in collaborations with academic, industrial and public sector organisations in scientific research projects that advance the cause of health and the environment.
Beyond the Group's business activities, Eurofins also contributes to various social projects and charitable work as part of its commitment to contribute to the improvement of health and social conditions of everyone.