Hellenic Solid Waste Management Association is the National member of Internation Solid Waste Association for Greece. Our company is acting as representative on commission basis. Main business lines: automotive parts, industrial supplies and machinery. We are looking for companies manufacturing machinery and equipment for waste disposal and recycling, in order to represent them in Greece.
The Hellenic Solid Waste Management Association (HSWMA) is a non-profit non-governmental organization. The statutes (objectives, structure, working groups and membership) are directly drawn from ISWA. The city of Xanthi (seat of the Engineering School of the Democritus University of Thrace) is the official seat of the HSWMA, while offices are planned for the cities of Athens, Thessaloniki and Mitilini. Most of the activities of HSWMA, however, take place in Athens. There exists no other association in Greece covering the content of HSWMA. The objectives of HSWMA are to promote the adoption of socially and environmentally acceptable methods for Solid Waste Management (SWM), the development and dissemination of relevant scientific methods and applications, the protection of the quality of our environment, and the preservation of natural resources and energy. HSWMA, which is not a research institute neither a consulting company, shall pursue these objectives by:
- The exchange of knowledge and experiences in the practice of all aspects of SWM.
- Keeping abreast of and, where appropriate, promoting scientific research and development in matters of SWM.
- The dissemination of scientific knowledge, technological advances and new procedures and practical applications to its members, as well as to the community at large, by means of newsletters, lectures, seminars, expositions, conventions, scientific and technical publications, journals, books, etc.
- Establishing libraries and archives that will be of use to its members and to the community at large.
- Cooperating with the industrial sector aiming at the development or the improvement of existing SWM methods, practices and technologies.
- Cooperating with the Government Departments, which are responsible for the selection, adoption or enforcement of SWM policies, with a view at improving methods and procedures.
- Developing links and working relations with other national and international organizations, whose activities relate to HSWMA's activities and objectives.
Working Groups of HSWMA have similar operation to the WG of ISWA, providing data and technical Knowledge to the members of HSWMA and relevant stakeholders. The memorandum of HSWMA defines the following working groups:
- Mechanical and Biological Treatment,
- Collection and Transport,
- Hazardous Waste Management,
- Waste Disposal-Landfill,
- Energy Recovery-Thermal Treatment,
- Waste Minimization-Recycling
- Legal, Social and Economical Issues,
- Waste Management in Developing Countries
HSWMA is the National member of ISWA (International Solid Waste Association). ISWA is an international, independent and non-profit making association, working in the public interest to promote and develop sustainable waste management worldwide. ISWA is in constant cooperation with international organisations such as UNEP, the WHO and EU organisations.
Members of HSWMA are participating in the working groups of ISWA. Additional information is available at the official web site of ISWA.