The Hellenic Solid Waste Management Association (HSWMA) is a non-profit non-governmental organization. Hellenic Solid Waste Management Association is the National member of Internation Solid Waste Association for Greece. It was founded in 2001 and now comprise all the stakeholders of solid waste management (Consulting firms, universities, management authorities etc). Here you will find all the necessary information regarding the solid waste management in Greece.
The city of Xanthi (seat of the Engineering School of the Democritus University of Thrace) is the official seat of the HSWMA, while offices are planned for the cities of Athens, Thessaloniki and Mitilini. Most of the activities of HSWMA, however, take place in Athens. There exists no other association in Greece covering the content of HSWMA. The objectives of HSWMA are to promote the adoption of socially and environmentally acceptable methods for Solid Waste Management (SWM), the development and dissemination of relevant scientific methods and applications, the protection of the quality of our environment, and the preservation of natural resources and energy. HSWMA, which is not a research institute neither a consulting company, shall pursue these objectives by:
- The exchange of knowledge and experiences in the practice of all aspects of SWM.
- Keeping abreast of and, where appropriate, promoting scientific research and development in matters of SWM.
- The dissemination of scientific knowledge, technological advances and new procedures and practical applications to its members, as well as to the community at large, by means of newsletters, lectures, seminars, expositions, conventions, scientific and technical publications, journals, books, etc.
- Establishing libraries and archives that will be of use to its members and to the community at large.
- Cooperating with the industrial sector aiming at the development or the improvement of existing SWM methods, practices and technologies.
- Cooperating with the Government Departments, which are responsible for the selection, adoption or enforcement of SWM policies, with a view at improving methods and procedures.
- Developing links and working relations with other national and international organizations, whose activities relate to HSWMA's activities and objectives.
Working Groups of HSWMA have similar operation to the WG of ISWA, providing data and technical Knowledge to the members of HSWMA and relevant stakeholders. The memorandum of HSWMA defines the following working groups:
- Mechanical and Biological Treatment,
- Collection and Transport,
- Hazardous Waste Management,
- Waste Disposal-Landfill,
- Energy Recovery-Thermal Treatment,
- Waste Minimization-Recycling
- Legal, Social and Economical Issues,
- Waste Management in Developing Countries