Landfill Gas to Energy Systems - Landfill Gas Collection System. Highland Energy (N.S.) Inc., is a privately owned Canadian Corporation solely committed to the recovery and utilization of landfill gas for the purpose of creating environmental and financial benefits. Highland accomplishes this by creating emission reductions of CH4 (Methane) and utilizing the recovered gas as fuel to produce renewable energy. Highland Energy(N.S.) Inc. is one of the first companies in the world to create, certify and evaluate Emission Reduction Credits from a Landfill Gas to Energy project in Quebec and successfully negotiated the sale of these ERC`s to an independent third party.
Highland collects landfill gas produced in landfills and converts the gas into environmental and economic benefits. It can create these benefits in a number of ways.
- The collected landfill gas can be utilized as a fuel to produce green renewable energy.
- The landfill gas can be processed and purified to upgrade to pipeline quality (i.e. natural gas), thus creating “renewable natural gas”.
- The landfill gas can be utilized directly by an industrial host as fuel to augment or replace fossil fuels.
- Landfill gas can be upgraded to pipeline quality natural gas, compressed and utilized as vehicle fuel.
Highland's areas of expertise
- Site assessment and evaluation of a potential landfill gas project development
- Contract negotiations in creating agreements specific to acquiring the right to utilize landfill gas
- Contract negotiations specific to power purchase agreements with end users (normally utilities)
- Design and construction of landfill gas collection systems
- Design and construction of landfill gas to energy power plants
- Permitting required to implementing landfill gas collection systems and landfill gas utilization systems
- Daily operations, maintenance and management of landfill gas collection systems and landfill gas utilization systems
Highland has conducted feasibility assessments for potential landfill gas projects in: Brazil, China, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Mexico and the Philippines.