The James Brinkley Company was founded in the 1920’s by Jim Brinkley. The Brinkley family, from Virginia, had invested money in some of the numerous small, locally owned pulp and paper mills. Jim Brinkley established the James Brinkley Company to sell specialized power transmission equipment to these mills. After World War II, Jim Brinkley hired Meder Johnson, a University of Washington educated licensed engineer, who had served as chief engineer of the Rayonier mill at Port Angeles, WA. Meder began to design and manufacture original equipment for Pulp and Paper mills. In the early fifties, Clyde Crawford was hired to add chemical equipment manufacturing expertise. He rationalized and systematized equipment production. Together Clyde and Meder designed and marketed innovative solutions to special material handling and process problems, and in the mid 1960’s together purchased the company from Jim Brinkley.