McMillan lawyers are recognized as leaders in Canadian and international professional directories including Lexpert, Martindale-Hubbell, Chambers Global, Global Counsel 3000, International Financial Law Review 1000, Euromoney`s Guide to the World`s Leading Lawyers, Who`s Who Legal, Global Competition Review and The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada. McMillan has the capability to assist clients anywhere in the world. We have a long history of acting for foreign companies looking to set up in the Canadian market. In addition, McMillan has relationships with law firms across Canada and internationally. With such resources, we can obtain quick access to lawyers with the right expertise and depth of jurisdictional knowledge to meet any client need.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Law firm
- Industry Type:
- Environmental Regulations and Compliance
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
Our industry-focused teams follow industry developments and participate in industry associations and events, enabling us to deliver sound practical legal advice informed by knowledge of our clients and their industries. By way of example, we have teams concentrating on the energy, oil and gas, mining, media and entertainment, automotive, health care and transportation sectors.
National and international networks
McMillan has the capability to assist clients anywhere in the world. We have a long history of acting for foreign companies looking to set up in the Canadian market. In addition, McMillan has relationships with law firms across Canada and internationally. With such resources, we can obtain quick access to lawyers with the right expertise and depth of jurisdictional knowledge to meet any client need.
Knowledge management and use of innovative technology
In a service business where knowledge and experience are crucial, we have been proactive in implementing systems and technology that capture and foster the sharing of knowledge and experience among firm members.
Practical cost-effective legal solutions
We listen carefully to our clients to understand their particular needs and circumstances. We then develop legal teams best suited to meet those needs and circumstances. We do not over-lawyer. Our experience demonstrates that knowing a client's business and objectives and using a team approach, with appropriate delegation and supervision, allows us to deliver excellent cost-effective results.
Value-added client initiatives
We offer our clients seminars on recent legal developments, timely news bulletins and other sources of up-to-date information regarding developments that may impact their businesses. Our clients are also invited to join in our well-regarded continuing education and training programs.
We are proud of our firm and its history of service to clients, community and the legal profession. We are committed to our well-defined firm values of respect, teamwork, commitment, client service and professional excellence that steer the firm to sustained quality and excellence while fostering a positive work environment.
Respect, teamwork, commitment, client service and professional excellence
McMillan completed a process of designing and announcing its Firm Values. In so doing, McMillan joined a growing number of domestic and international businesses that recognize the importance of clearly defined, uniformly embraced values to steer the organization to sustained quality and excellence and foster a positive work environment.
what we mean by firm values
In fashioning our core values, we defined values as strongly held, emotionally charged beliefs that are highly resistant to change. Our values were designed to be succinct statements that everyone in the firm, regardless of position, agrees to live by and against which the performance of all members will be measured. Firm members must engage in a group of behaviours associated with each value to demonstrate commitment to the value.
Intended as guideposts for the firm, our values represent what we regard as fundamental to our organization's life as we move forward to achieve our goals. Although our goals may change over time, our values will remain constant. They will guide us when we face tough decisions and confront difficult choices. And, they will help us determine how to best allocate resources and identify the best individuals to accomplish our objectives.
what our firm values will accomplish
By committing to our values, we make a major investment in our long-term future. Articulating and living our core firm values helps us achieve new levels in the service we provide our clients and the quality of our workplace. With our values as our anchor, we anticipate further advancement in these areas.
By living our values, we will continuously foster a work environment dedicated to enhancing our skills and our level of professional excellence. This, in turn, will ensure that we remain highly responsive to our clients' needs. Our values will also help enrich the quality of our employees' working lives, which will significantly strengthen loyalty to the firm and our clients. Mutual respect, recognition, collaboration and commitment will be the hallmarks of our individual relationships with colleagues and clients.
the core firm values and related behaviours
respect: We will maintain a working environment where individuals can flourish and all of our interactions with each other are guided by mutual respect, recognition and appreciation.
Individually, we will:
- treat all others with respect and dignity regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, seniority and position,
- take every opportunity to recognize positive contributions of individuals at all levels,
- communicate directly and honestly with individuals at all levels on issues that affect them,
- listen to others and fairly consider their views, and
- consider and, when possible, accommodate others' competing work demands and outside commitments.
teamwork: We will continue to build a collaborative work environment by providing opportunities for growth through delegating responsibilities, sharing information and experience, relying on each other's expertise, keeping commitments and trusting each other.
Individually, we will:
- delegate work to individuals at the appropriate level of experience,
- facilitate learning and development by discussing the context of delegated assignments and providing clear direction and guidance,
- proactively help others advance by providing opportunities for growth and increased responsibility,
- provide constructive, honest and timely feedback designed to advance the development of others,
- treat others' mistakes as opportunities to learn,
- be accessible to others for advice, guidance and assistance,
- support team objectives and meet team expectations, and
- take responsibility for the team's mistakes as well as our own.
commitment: We will persistently strive to achieve our goals and our clients' goals while, above all, adhering to our values.
Individually, we will:
- work to overcome obstacles to meeting our firm and client commitments,
- hold ourselves and others accountable to our values,
- place the firm's interests ahead of self-interest in the workplace,
- invest time, effort and resources to initiatives aimed at the firm's long-term success, and
- exert the level of effort that meets or exceeds the reasonable expectations of others in achieving firm and client goals.
client service: We will anticipate our clients' needs, advance their business priorities and, wherever possible, exceed their expectations.
Individually, we will:
- take every opportunity to learn about our clients and their businesses, priorities and expectations,
- communicate all information about our clients' files and their expectations to others working on the client's matters as soon as practical,
- take full responsibility for commitments to our clients and follow up with others to ensure we meet those commitments,
- provide our clients with realistic expectations where timetables and deliverables are unattainable or unrealistic,
- respond promptly to all client communications, and
- seize opportunities to exceed our clients' expectations regarding, among others, the quality, timeliness and efficiency of our services.
professional excellence: We will be at the forefront of our profession in the skill, expertise and judgment we offer our clients and constantly seek opportunities to learn and grow.
Individually, we will:
- plan and organize work to complete projects effectively and efficiently,
- determine relevant facts and consider alternatives before embarking on a course of action,
- apply skill, expertise and judgment to develop creative and effective solutions,
- involve others in files and issues where the need for expertise warrants,
- maintain integrity and confidentiality at all times, and
- engage in continuous learning to remain current in knowledge and improve professional skills and expertise.