Nautilus Marine Service GmbH
Nautilus Marine Service is a German-based specialized company to manufacture pressure housings made of glass (VITROVEX) for use in the deep sea. The company was founded in 1985 and has been investing continuously in people and technology to maintain the technical leadership in the products on offer. Nautilus Marine Service is closely associated with regional distributors around the world and exports over 90% of its VITROVEX glass products to more than 30 countries. All well-known marine research facilities are among these customers. The main product range of the company Nautilus Marine Service are floatation and instrument housings made of glass under the brand name VITROVEX. VITROVEX glass belongs to the group of borosilicate glasses, which are characterized by their low sensitivity to temperature changes (due to the low temperature expansion) and their high resistance to chemical agents. Working closely with regional partners around the world.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
- … a privately-owned German manufacturer and trading company.
- … a subsea developer of very high pressure resistant glass enclosures for instrument housings and buoyancy (VITROVEX).
- … a trading specialist for marine safety equipment and oceanographic/hydrographic products.
- … approx. 10 people committed to seeing our customers succeed.
- … working closely with regional partners around the world.
- … investing for the future; in people and technology.
- … continuously innovating to maintain our technical leadership
- … exporting 90% of our VITROVEX glass products to over 30 countries.
- … pursuing long term relationships with our clients, employees and partners.
WE ACT …
- … in accordance with the best interests of our clients.
- … for long-term viability and sustainability.
- … to contribute to our society.
- … based on optimism, fun, and to adopt a positive attitude towards our future.
WE CARE …
- … for details.
- … for high quality and the reliability of our products, services and processes.
- … for lessons learnt from mistakes, and failure only serves to make us stronger.
- … for criticism that concerns our work.
Nautilus is also the name of the ship featured in the adventure novel “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” by Jules Verne. This sub, created by the enigmatic commander Captain Nemo, was considered ahead of its time with its electrical propulsion and all kinds of gadgets to perform advanced marine biology research. It meets our aims to offer only the most advanced products in the field of oceanography and hydrography to our customers.
Last but not least there is the creature, Nautilus pompilius, which is the Latin name of a marine mollusc with a snail-like shell that lives in the sea. Like our VITROVEX glass products, the shell of the chambered Nautilus fulfils the function of buoyancy, which allows the Nautilus to dive or ascend at will, by controlling the density and volume of the liquid within its shell chambers – a principle that can still be found today incorporated into many deep-sea vehicles. Furthermore, the classic elegant contours of the Nautilus pompilius with its inherent beauty of the logarithmic spiral of the shell represents more than any other sea creature the humanly crafted perfect proportions of our VITROVEX glass products.
- Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung
- Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe (BGR)
- Zentrum für Marine Umweltwissenschaften (MARUM)
- Geo-Forschungszentrum Potsdam (GFZ)
- GKSS Forschungszentrum
- Senckenberg Institut
- Wasser- und Schifffahrtsverwaltung des Bundes (WSÄ, BSH, BAW)
- Reedereien (F.Laeisz, Briese Schiffahrt, RF, Scandlines, Aida)
- Bundes- und Kommunalbehörden (Bundesgrenzschutz, Zoll, Feuerwehr)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft zur Rettung Schiffbrüchiger (DGzRS)
- Deutsche Lebens-Rettungs-Gesellschaft (DLRG)
Nautilus Marine Service is closely associated with regional distributors around the world and exports over 90% of its VITROVEX glass products to more than 30 countries. All well-known marine research facilities (see below for a non-conclusive selection) are among these customers.
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD
- National Geographic Society
- University of Rhode Island
- NOC Southampton
- Shanghai Ocean University
- Ocean University of China
- Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute (KORDI)
- National Taiwan Ocean University
- National Institute of Ocean Technology(NIOT)
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC
- Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ)
- Bedford Institute of Oceanography
- Dalhousie University
- University of Victoria